Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Yes they are Dan...yes they are
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One of my friend's daughters, who crews for me on occasion, does the same thing as fred.. curls up under the dodger. She's figured out that is one spot on the boat that the evil helmsman can't get sprayed by turning the boat into the waves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-09-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Dodger Sticker Shock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser106 View Post
Just became the proud owner of a Ericson 34 located in the San Francisco Bay area. It came without a dodger and since the Summer winds here can be quite robust, I figured my first purchase would be a dodger. Called some ads I saw in Lat 38 and a few numbers the harbor master gave me for a quote and STICKER SHOCK! Prices ran from $2800 to $3500. At least twice what I thought it would be. Yes I did want 1” SS tubing and cover panels for the windows and ok grab rails on the side but still $3500!
So I am looking for other options. Has anybody seen and tried dodger kits or ‘do it your self kits’ or how hard was it to make your own? Any great web sites that may help?
Input will be much appreciated.
Resurrecting this old thread because prices have changed...

I contracted with a well respected high end canvas shop to replace my ancient POS dodger, and the frame with the following:
Custom sail dodger, 1 " stainless 316L frame, rope groove deck mount, Sunbrella fabric, gore-tex thread, YKK UV zippers, Strataglass .040 window material, removable center window, welded aft grab bar, awning zipper with stamoid covered grab area, rear fixed bracing struts all stainless hardware supplied and installed on site.

In addition, I have elected to have a single tube awning system 1" stainless 316L frame, Two split rail mounts for fixed bracing, side mounted to outside cockpit combing, Zippered pockets and zipper split for single backstay opening installed on site.

The total is slightly north of $7300...

Here is the before picture;

I will post the after next spring when it is finished.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 12-09-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser106 View Post
Just became the proud owner of a Ericson 34 located in the San Francisco Bay area. It came without a dodger and since the Summer winds here can be quite robust, I figured my first purchase would be a dodger. Called some ads I saw in Lat 38 and a few numbers the harbor master gave me for a quote and STICKER SHOCK! Prices ran from $2800 to $3500. At least twice what I thought it would be. Yes I did want 1” SS tubing and cover panels for the windows and ok grab rails on the side but still $3500!
So I am looking for other options. Has anybody seen and tried dodger kits or ‘do it your self kits’ or how hard was it to make your own? Any great web sites that may help?
Input will be much appreciated.

EDIT: 2008 thread and I already had answered..... Dredge post....
jimrafford likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 12-09-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2012

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking about adding a dodger to my Olson 30 (and I'm currently in the process of building the bimini- that one took first priority for SO-comfort reasons), but I've stumbled on one little problem. I'm thinking of using a sliding track for a bead on the forward edge of the dodger, but I can't use it much more than about 3 feet of width right in front of the cabin top hatch because of lines running back to clutches and winches. These boats were made simple- no coaming or anything to prevent water from sliding on back down and over the companionway so you can simply snap the dodger down to a more vertical surface as is frequently done. How do you seal that area to prevent as much water as possible from rushing over the cabin top and under the dodger around those lines?
Old 12-09-2012

ambianceack is on a distinguished road

I agree with others that you can't just buy some canvas, a sewing machine and tubing then build a dodger that will last. If you know how to sew you are ahead of the game but holding a 30 inch wide piece of canvas under the foot of a sewing machine and getting straight lines along the hem is not easy or quickly learned. Beyond that, keeping enough thread on the bobbin is another story. Moreover, using old dodgers as patterns doesn't work unless its the same boat, year and model. Even then you have to be careful due to wear and tear of the old dodger, a new dodger really needs to be templated, cut and sewn. I think anyone can make there own dodger and bimini etc, but it will take time and skill. Either way you pay.
Old 12-09-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
How do you seal that area to prevent as much water as possible from rushing over the cabin top and under the dodger around those lines?
You really can't. Closely placed snaps help, but the dodger is meant to act as a spray shield. Some water will almost always come under the dodger.

Dodgers are one of the more difficult canvas projects, but with practice and the right design are manageable. I've made all the canvas and cushions on our last 2 boats using a home machine and later, a Sailrite machine. While the results of the first projects weren't great, I learned. As I tackled more projects, the workmanship improved. I used the existing canvas for a pattern in some cases like the sail cover and bimini, but when I make a dodger next summer, I plan to use sheet plastic for my pattern. The good part about using the old canvas for a pattern is that you don't have to figure out the engineering. My dodger will be a modern design - basically a bimini with a Stratglas front and zippered sides. The modern designs are much more versatile in hot weather with the benefit of being much easier to build.

Learning to sew is a really useful skill that anyone can learn with patience. I will say that IMO, making a large sail (for a boat > 15') is for professionals. The bobbin on a professional machine is huge, the arm is about 3x the length of a Sailrite LSZ, and the floor of a loft make moving the sail much easier. I plan to stick to canvas covers and such.

Last edited by Sabreman; 12-09-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2012

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

Okie-dokie, then- I'll just run the channel for the leading edge to within 1cm or so of those lines, and not dive the boat under waves... We bought the LSZ-1 at the boat show in Annapolis a couple of months ago and just love it. I've made just a few canvas covers and sewn quite a bit of webbing (spinnaker net) and they came out well. Rewinding the bobbin definitely stinks, but I'm getting used to it..
Old 12-09-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

YOou can seal it. You need to sew reenforced channels for the lines to go through as the move . My suggestion is you walk the docks and look at how other people have dealt with that issue.

Our sailrite machine is the best piece of equipment we have ever bought. My wife was really good at sewing so it was a no brainer, especially when you see the costs of things like ehrilly posted. She has saved us tousands of dollars on these projects. The didger is the most difficult piece because of its angles.

I agree witn Sabreman totally about doing it yourself and starting with smaller projects in cavas before tackliing a didger. My wife is currently redoing our cushions for about $1500 most of tha in new foam. The estimate we got was $6000.

Sailrite has so good videos for making canvas projects and such.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-09-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Wellllllll I just had my dodger and side panels made up and paid a little less than $250 for them.

Now, I haven't shoved them up yet because its too cold here, so you will have to wait a few months for photos.

But the concept was to do what you lot are bleating about and still have money to take a chic out at night.

I already have a Bimini and don't really need a dodger at sea but they are nice at anchor in the trades to keep the 20 knots full time breeze down, cut the sun etc, the side panels do the same with sun etc and make the cockpit more of an extra room.

So I measured up a rhomboid shape pannel for the dodger for the two fixing posts of the Bimini to each end of the main traveler. A hole in the middle to string it up to the boom somewhere so it's not too low of paver the companionway.

Two side covers for the side of the Bimini forward and down to the toe rail, and aft to the stern rail.

Material is that shade cloth stuff boats use on windows. So I can see out. Don't remember what it's called. Tourmaline?

Cost fabric 9 years at $7.50 per yard $60
Cutting, hemming, holes etc $180

Ok it may not be perfect, but saves abit off the $7,000 someone mentioned!
zeehag likes this.