Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Dodger Sticker Shock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I had the same problem when I looked into having a doger made for my first boat. I actually wanted a full enclosure with side windows as a "Seattle sunroom". I was floored by the price!

Solution? I went without a dodger. I know I'm in the minority here, but I still don't really get the point of them. At ANY point of sail (since you can't go directly upwind) the dodger won't protect you from the wind if you're at the helm or cockpit benches. The only place you are protected is huddled under it! They're hard to see under and around and get in the way of a lot of things.

Over 10 years in the Pacific Northwest without a dodger I still don't want one. I've also been on many many boats with them and still don't see the appeal. Try a couple seasons without before you spend that much money.

MedSailor
Medsailor, my current boat came with a hard divinycell/fiberglass dodger with fixed and opening windows and a fixed sunbrella bimini that give you sun and rain protection in the whole cockpit. I also have side spray panels on the rails. My hard dodger has standing headroom under it. I can honestly say that when I bought the boat I didn't really see the need for such a large hard dodger, but I do now. On any point of sail I can sit in the shade and out of the rain (sometimes zipping in a cloth panel here and there). We use our cockpit on sunny or rainy days- something we wouldn't be able to do otherwise. Having no dodger means sitting exposed to wind, sun, spray, rain etc. which becomes physically exhausting after only a few hours. Then there is the issue of UV, In the tropics you simply cannot spend time on a boat without proper sun protection unless you want to roast, burn, fry and get skin cancer. A hard dodger is usually very high on the list of "must-haves" of experienced cruisers looking for their ultimate cruising boat. Today I wouldn't go back. The only drawback is limited visibility at night to pick up a mooring.

For the prices I'm seeing for canvass dodgers in this thread you could make a proper foam core and fiberglass permanent hard dodger and still have change left over.
Old 12-12-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
In addition, when you see green water heading your way, it gives you a place to duck into (never fun getting hosed, even if you're in foulies). Both reasons I think dodgers have a place at sea. For bay sailing?....not on my boat.
Even though I've owned and extensively cruised 2 boats and tried dodgers on many others and STILL keep my opinion that they're over-rated, part of it is the boat you put it on. Some boats will take a lot of green water aboard, and others won't.

My boat has a 32' waterline length and is 41' on deck. While that's not the best in the moorage payment vs interior space equation, the HUGE overhang and flare of the clipper bow sure does keep the cockpit dry. I've taken her into some short, steep, high waves and stayed very very dry in my cockpit without a dodger. On a 40ft catalina in the same conditions, not so much....

40ft Catalina bow:

Formosa 41 clipper bow:

She keeps me dry.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know ballpark costs to replace just the canvas on a dodger or bimini? Let's assume I have a good, sturdy frame for each, but the covers are trashed from Hurricane Sandy or birds, or...
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

A lot of variables size material glass composition number of struts, number of zippers etc

Dodgers are way more complicated Than biminis.

Figure around $2000 at least.

I am thankful my wife does ours as we have a Sailrite machine. It is a lot more complicated than it looks. Use Stratglass for windows

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I watched the Sailrite videos. It seems like you REALLY need to take your time and measure everything properly. The sewing itself didn't look too bad. I wonder how much I could tolerate my "mediocre" job for $1000 (or less) worth of fabric versus $4,000+.

Oh well, I gotta get a boat first!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-03-2013

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Does anyone know ballpark costs to replace just the canvas on a dodger or bimini? Let's assume I have a good, sturdy frame for each, but the covers are trashed from Hurricane Sandy or birds, or...
It would help to know if you are going to do the work or do you need the complete job done,

Sum

======================================

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

Old 02-03-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I'd really like either/both. Mostly the cost to have it professionally done, since I can ROM cost the DIY version myself, but if someone has already done that work, it would be great.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-03-2013

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I'd really like either/both. Mostly the cost to have it professionally done, since I can ROM cost the DIY version myself, but if someone has already done that work, it would be great.
Ours isn't great as it was my first real sewing job. Ruth had two foot operations and had to skip this project. So I did it, but had done most of the layout on the other projects that she had sewn. It would of been a difficult job without that background. We also have the sailrite machine and wouldn't of wanted to of tried it with something that was less.

It isn't a perfect....

...job, but it didn't cost like one either and it has features I haven't seen in professional dodgers. Not that they couldn't do it, but most people wouldn't want to pay for the extra time it takes.

You can find the mod and a lot more canvas ones here...

Endeavour 37 Canvas Mods Index

plus a number of other ones for our other boat.....

Ruth Canvas Mods Index

I spent about a month on the dodger. Not every day 8 hours a day, but still a lot of hours,

Sum

Old 02-03-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner10 View Post
Ours isn't great as it was my first real sewing job. Ruth had two foot operations and had to skip this project. So I did it, but had done most of the layout on the other projects that she had sewn. It would of been a difficult job without that background. We also have the sailrite machine and wouldn't of wanted to of tried it with something that was less.

It isn't a perfect....

...job, but it didn't cost like one either and it has features I haven't seen in professional dodgers. Not that they couldn't do it, but most people wouldn't want to pay for the extra time it takes.

You can find the mod and a lot more canvas ones here...

Endeavour 37 Canvas Mods Index

plus a number of other ones for our other boat.....

Ruth Canvas Mods Index

I spent about a month on the dodger. Not every day 8 hours a day, but still a lot of hours,

Sum

Hey looks pretty good to me. Nice job with the overlapp edging covenring the zipper to prrevent leaking. Also your philosophy and our was similar in that we wanted a whole picture window to zip out when the weather was hot so we had air flow.

I think you did great.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Boat canvas is just downright expensive, but there is a ton of labor involved.

Most will want to come to your boat and layout a new cover from scratch, rather than work off your old one, especially, if you have side panels that must line up with zippers, or want a connector from the dodger to bimini, etc.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.