Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Dodger Sticker Shock!

Sumner, that looks pretty good! Better than my first sewing jobs.

Minnewaska, I think that's the better way to do it.

OK, one more dumb question - Can I template off the frame at home, or does it need to be done at the boat? That is, could I (or the canvas guy) take home the frame and make a template without the frame being on the boat? Just trying to think of ways the job could be made easier. When I tried to make a template for my companionway last spring, the gnats were brutal and made it almost impossible.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 02-03-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Can I template off the frame at home, or does it need to be done at the boat? That is, could I (or the canvas guy) take home the frame and make a template without the frame being on the boat? Just trying to think of ways the job could be made easier. When I tried to make a template for my companionway last spring, the gnats were brutal and made it almost impossible.
You could probably rough the main canopy as long as you KNEW you had the same geometry on the mounting points as you do on the boat.. but you couldn't pattern the transition to the cabintop anywhere else.. AFAIK the pros all do this on the boat. Best results would be having the frame exactly as installed (therefore on the boat) and patterning the entire dodger there.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
....Can I template off the frame at home, or does it need to be done at the boat?.....
Same with most things. If you want it to come out right, you have to prepare it right.

The difference between canvas that is so tight you can't get it to properly wrap around the frame and canvas that looks saggy and loose is about a 1/4 of an inch.

I would do it in place on the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-03-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

On the boat in place.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-03-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I was afraid you would say that! Hmmmm... Gotta break out the heavy-duty bug spray.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-03-2013

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road

If we would of had the choice it would of been at the boat and the house, but our boat is 2200 miles from the house.

I took some measurements of the coaming that....

...goes around the cockpit/companionway and tried....

...to duplicate them at home and first setup the old dodger that was torn, old and had a number of zippers that didn't work. It worked pretty well, but as has been mentioned there isn't a lot of difference of being skin tight and loose (we are somewhere in-between).

We are happy with the outcome but one problem area was where...

...the bimini attaches to the dodger where the 2 left double arrows are. I didn't get the angle of the bimini in relation to the dodger quite right at home and..

... the bimini sits higher on the boat vs. what I had at home so we had to cut the area where they join on the sides (rolled up in the above picture) and modify that at the yard with the sewing machine. We did that just before we left and didn't put it back on, so no new pictures.

Our boat will sit for a good part of the year in Florida without us so we wanted the dodger and bimini to go on and off quickly for storage so all of the pockets....

....where they attach to the frame are zippered.

We also wanted the front window to have a lot of options. The screen can zip off and will be off unless we are using...

...the full cockpit screen. The window also zips completely out if you want and I put in 4 zippers pulls so that you can ...

...open the whole window and leave it in place (above) or open any one or two...

...areas of it. This all takes a lot of time. All of this is on the web site,

Sum

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

Old 02-03-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

If you've ever had a new top put on a convertible the prices of custom dodgers doesn't seem so out of line.
jimgo likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-09-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Resurrecting this old thread because prices have changed...

I contracted with a well respected high end canvas shop to replace my ancient POS dodger, and the frame with the following:
Custom sail dodger, 1 " stainless 316L frame, rope groove deck mount, Sunbrella fabric, gore-tex thread, YKK UV zippers, Strataglass .040 window material, removable center window, welded aft grab bar, awning zipper with stamoid covered grab area, rear fixed bracing struts all stainless hardware supplied and installed on site.

In addition, I have elected to have a single tube awning system 1" stainless 316L frame, Two split rail mounts for fixed bracing, side mounted to outside cockpit combing, Zippered pockets and zipper split for single backstay opening installed on site.

The total is slightly north of $7300...

Here is the before picture;

I will post the after next spring when it is finished.
The dodger and bimini were installed in April... Unfortunately it has taken me 'till now to get around to posting back on this topic. The dodger alone cost ~$5k, and here is what I received;
  • Custom sail dodger - the canvas guy came out to my boat with me, and fitted the dodger to me. The height, and width were designed so that I could see without having to duck to see under, or peer over the top.
  • 1 " stainless 316L frame - the old canvas had an aluminum frame
  • rope groove deck mount
  • Sunbrella fabric
  • gore-tex thread
  • YKK UV zippers
  • Strataglass .040 window material
  • removable center window - if I had it to do again, I would opt for a window which I could simply unzip, and flip over the top of the dodger. I keep the window is removed, unless it is raining, and I plan to use it in the late fall when the temps fall below 40ºF.
  • welded aft grab bar
  • awning zipper with stamoid covered grab area
  • adjustable rear fixed bracing struts
  • all stainless hardware supplied and installed on site.

Here are some of the after photos;

I've sailed with it through May, June, and July. Here are my observations:
  • The stainless steel frame with grab rail are a TREMENDOUS improvement
  • Note that the top of the dodger has a very slight crown, so that it sheds water. The old dodger was more square on the top, and as a result retained the water on the top, which then leaked through the Sunbrella and down the companionway
  • The new dodger has mesh pockets near the coming, and THEY ARE AWESOME! perfect for holding binoc's. handheld VHF, bungy cords, shoes, air horn, etc.
  • The support struts that replaced the webbing make great hand holds, and are actually turnbuckles. I can twist the strut, and it will tighten, or loosen the canvas (it is rather loose in the pic above) to make the canvas look neater.
  • he also added two of these leather cutouts for the traveler adjustments.

You can also see, in the pic above one item that I was less impressed with. In the course of removing the old dodger, he also had to remove several "lift the dot screw studs" from the deck. We discussed this concern before he began the work, but he assured me that he runs into this all the time, and he had a solution. His solution was to simply fill the holes in the deck by injecting 4200, and covering with fiberglass packing tape. I will likely bore these out and inject epoxy, and gelcoat next spring.

Here is another pic;

Another nit is that while the rope track was being mounted, there must have been several mistakes in the drilling. Rather than pattern a track, he simply drilled new holes elsewhere in the track. You can see this above. Honestly, this isn't a big deal, but for top dollar (and this was), and from a very highly respected canvas person, I expected everything to be perfect.

We also installed a custom 1 rail Bimini. This cost another ~$2K. The Bimini folds up into this;

Here is how the stainless frame is fastened through the deck.

I say "we" because I was there for the installation. I helped his helper seal the holes as noted above per his direction. However on the through bolts, I insisted that he use Butyl tape to seal holes drilled through the deck (instead of 4200), and that he use fender washers and through bolts, rather than simply screwing the mounting bracket pictured above into the deck.

The canvas guy also made 3 custom winch covers, and a small binnacle cover, which he threw in at no additional cost.

All in all, I am happy with the result, and grateful to take advantage of his experience. However, I am very tempted to buy a SailRite machine, and start my new career...

I am sharing this with the forum, so that you will have a benchmark of what this kind of project costs, and entails. PM me if you want a referral. This guy does great work!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 08-11-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: added cost of bimini, and reason for the post.
Old 08-09-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Nice piece.

As to buying a sewing machine and going into business - how many wealthy canvas stitchers do you know?
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-10-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Guess I aint getting one. I thought $375 for my bimini was bad. I figured a dodger would run about 3-5 hundred. Damn.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.