Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road
Re: Dodger Sticker Shock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
The dodger cost ~$5k, However, I am very tempted to buy a SailRite machine, and start my new career...
Looks very nice but 5K is what I paid for my whole boat.
Seems to me if one has the skill, buying a Sailrite machine is the way to go.
Old 08-10-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
Guess I aint getting one. I thought $375 for my bimini was bad. I figured a dodger would run about 3-5 hundred. Damn.
Hence, the title of this thread...

The bimini was about another $2K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 08-10-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2013
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Looks very nice but 5K is what I paid for my whole boat.
Seems to me if one has the skill, buying a Sailrite machine is the way to go.
$5K for a 1980 Sabre 28 - you may have got a good deal! - especially if that MD7 has been replaced.

Buying the machine, for those with the skill, and a place to use it, is the more cost effective way to go.
chef2sail and jimgo like this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Old 08-10-2013

Tanley is on a distinguished road

Been waiting for this update. Looks fantastic! Not a slight on anyone's abilities here, but this thread has a few good examples of the difference between a DIY canvas job vs. professional work. You can clearly see the difference in fit and finish.

A bit surprised about how the rope rail was secured and the manner in which the previous dodger snaps were dealt with. Looks like it won't be visible though w/o looking pretty hard.

Certainly a pricey project, but it looks like it turned out great.
Old 08-10-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanley View Post
Been waiting for this update. Looks fantastic! Not a slight on anyone's abilities here, but this thread has a few good examples of the difference between a DIY canvas job vs. professional work. You can clearly see the difference in fit and finish.
Certainly a pricey project, but it looks like it turned out great.
It's an absolute awesome job. Looking at just the detail that when it to producing the dodger frame alone, the guy's a craftsman.

My comment about spending 5K for my boat wasn't meant to nix you for spending your money on something you wanted. Please accept my apology.
Old 08-10-2013
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
It's an absolute awesome job. Looking at just the detail that when it to producing the dodger frame alone, the guy's a craftsman.

My comment about spending 5K for my boat wasn't meant to nix you for spending your money on something you wanted. Please accept my apology.
No offense taken! and no apology needed

Seriously, I know the Sabre 28. A friend of mine has an '81 vintage, and I love it - except the Volvo engine...
chef2sail likes this.

Old 08-10-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

That is really sharp! I like the use of the track all the way around; that gives a really nice fit, and may actually be a way for me to solve my fit problems. For the center window, how do you remove it? Do you have to remove the entire dodger? I see the zipper, but what about the track slide?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 08-10-2013
Learning the HARD way...

To remove the window, I fully unzip the window on the port and starboard side and then slide the window to the port side, where there is a spot where the track has been widened to allow easy ingress/egress.

Another neat feature is that I can partially unzip the window, and snap the window into two fasteners on the sea hood, and keep the window ˝ open, and completely out of the way.

Old 08-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
To remove the window, I fully unzip the window on the port and starboard side and then slide the window to the port side, where there is a spot where the track has been widened to allow easy ingress/egress.

Another neat feature is that I can partially unzip the window, and snap the window into two fasteners on the sea hood, and keep the window ˝ open, and completely out of the way.
Classy job. My wife made ours 6 years ago with the SR machine. You have some nice features I'd like to incorporate in our next one in a few years.

So you use the struts to tighten he fabric vrs web straps?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-10-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I also really like the solution for the traveler lines. I may have to incorporate that into my dodger this winter.

Yeah, it was $7K, and my bimini, dodger, lifeline pads, and sail cover only cost me about $1000, including the cost of a sewing machine (obviously not a Sailrite), but I'll be the first to admit that yours looks a heck of a lot better than mine. I put a LOT of hours into my canvas, probably on the order of 4-6 hours a night for easily 4-5 weeks. In hindsight, if you have the money, it seems like a good way to have gone.
1975 Albacore 15