SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   What's on your Spring "to do" list? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/41179-whats-your-spring-do-list.html)

T37Chef 03-08-2008 05:50 PM

What's on your Spring "to do" list?

I will be doing the usual when its pulled in a couple of weeks
  • waxing
  • bottom paint
  • zincs
  • stuffing box, etc.
and
  • hoping to get all the teak taken down and cetol (natural) applied
  • 2 nicro vents installed
  • am/fm radio installed
  • repair lettering on transom
  • new painted boot stripe
If I can get the done during my spring break week I'll be very happy.:D especially for the Chesapeake rendezvous in June, boat must look good :cool:

bestfriend 03-08-2008 05:54 PM

1. SELL THE DAMN BOAT!
2. Go sailing on other people's boats.
3. Save lots of money.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Waymar83 03-08-2008 06:06 PM

I might be putting the boat back in the water towards the end of the summer. (It's been on the hard for three years:( ).

I had lots of plans initially but my stay was extended by a year to three full years. The boat was pulled in September '05.

I have no idea what to expect or what needs to be done. This will be no ordinary spring commissioning.

I may have it surveyed before just to give me a todo list:confused: .....

Freesail99 03-08-2008 06:10 PM

Put in a new head and thur hulls, holding tank. Clean out the bottom of my fuel tank.

sanctuarysam 03-08-2008 06:24 PM

did my spring projects last week

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 279409)
I will be doing the usual when its pulled in a couple of weeks
  • waxing
  • bottom paint
  • zincs
  • stuffing box, etc.
and
  • hoping to get all the teak taken down and cetol (natural) applied
  • 2 nicro vents installed
  • am/fm radio installed
  • repair lettering on transom
  • new painted boot stripe
If I can get the done during my spring break week I'll be very happy.:D especially for the Chesapeake rendezvous in June, boat must look good :cool:

i pulled the boat and did the bottom in late november, so she has a slippery bottom.
this past week, this is what i got done"
i replaced the element in my cold water heater (5.99 at the local hardware store).
replaced some of my cabin lights w/ LEDs ( i especially like the nav station red)
repositioned my spin & whisker pole for easier access for me or my crew, mounted them from the pulpit and top of stanchions.
put small stickers on the boom identifying the different strings, so i no longer have to say;" release the topping lift, no..not that one, the one by your left hand..no..your other left hand..."
installed a shackle on the mast base to connect my whisker pole, and turning it into a sprit for my asymm. i did that by moving my anchor into the other chock, and now my pole is held in place by the anchor pins.
connected my mp3 to my stereo system via RCA cables.
cleaned and oiled all my interior woodwork.
replaced all burned out bulbs (in those places like engine compartment & cockpit locker).
drank lots of beer..and irish whiskey..(tullamore due).
slept in all the bunks..(oh..it dropped to 26 each night) some bunks were more comfy than others.
had a patch sewn on my dodger to prevent a small tear from turning into a big one.
polished some of the stainless in and out.
the most fun was raising my 135 while it blew 18+ down the channel..after getting it on, up and furled, i sat there huffin and a'puffin realizing, it is world's easier to do this w/ someone else.
my best friend came by one day ( much irish whiskey and lots of bass ales later, we had the main on (i only had to remove two of the full battens to make them orient correctly)..i won't even discuss me trying to get the zippers to line up for the mainsail cover..wasn't pretty..
but she's ready to go...
on a different note..anyone know anything about a race in july on the chesapeake? apparently your hull design must be 25 years or older to race...
i hear it is a blast...
so..bueller...bueller?

T37SOLARE 03-08-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanctuarysam (Post 279438)
on a different note..anyone know anything about a race in july on the chesapeake? apparently your hull design must be 25 years or older to race...
i hear it is a blast...
so..bueller...bueller?

I think you might be thinking of the "Good Old Boat Regatta", if so it's in October the same weekend of the boatshow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef
Chesapeake rendezvous in June

Got any more info on the rendezvous? Is this through CBTSC and do you have the dates?

As for our to do list, it's a work in progress to say at a minimum:

SOLARE Spring 2008 to do list:

Refinish toe rail & cockpit seats
Order & change fuel filters
Replace cooling pump impeller & install SpeedSeal Kit
replace battery switch
replace/inspect fridge seacock
Re plumb galley sink
get dodger re-stitched or replace
Genoa to loft for cleaning & repairs
Re-pack packing gland
Install new instruments. (Install Depth & Speed transducers at minimum before splash)
Helm Chartplotter or PC monitor ?
Rebuild pressure water pump
Re-plumb sump & inspect bilge pump plumbing
Replace fresh water filter housing
wash & wax hull
Touch-up bottom paint at waterline
Touch up AwlGrip on hull & mast

POST LAUNCH
Replace compass light (parts in)
Replace propane tank
Replace genoa halyard
Install masthead unit
Install SparTight

Stillraining 03-08-2008 11:03 PM

Geezz Sam

With all that energy I got a few things left to do I my boat for ya! That was one heck of a week..

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanctuarysam (Post 279438)
i pulled the boat and did the bottom in late november, so she has a slippery bottom.
this past week, this is what i got done"
i replaced the element in my cold water heater (5.99 at the local hardware store).
replaced some of my cabin lights w/ LEDs ( i especially like the nav station red)
repositioned my spin & whisker pole for easier access for me or my crew, mounted them from the pulpit and top of stanchions.
put small stickers on the boom identifying the different strings, so i no longer have to say;" release the topping lift, no..not that one, the one by your left hand..no..your other left hand..."
installed a shackle on the mast base to connect my whisker pole, and turning it into a sprit for my asymm. i did that by moving my anchor into the other chock, and now my pole is held in place by the anchor pins.
connected my mp3 to my stereo system via RCA cables.
cleaned and oiled all my interior woodwork.
replaced all burned out bulbs (in those places like engine compartment & cockpit locker).
drank lots of beer..and irish whiskey..(tullamore due).
slept in all the bunks..(oh..it dropped to 26 each night) some bunks were more comfy than others.
had a patch sewn on my dodger to prevent a small tear from turning into a big one.
polished some of the stainless in and out.
the most fun was raising my 135 while it blew 18+ down the channel..after getting it on, up and furled, i sat there huffin and a'puffin realizing, it is world's easier to do this w/ someone else.
my best friend came by one day ( much irish whiskey and lots of bass ales later, we had the main on (i only had to remove two of the full battens to make them orient correctly)..i won't even discuss me trying to get the zippers to line up for the mainsail cover..wasn't pretty..
but she's ready to go...
i hear it is a blast...
so..bueller...bueller?

cardiacpaul 03-09-2008 09:38 AM

Find an old geezer with a boat ready to kick off.

Become his new best friend.

Wait patiently.

Comfort the grieving widow.

Have her sign over his beloved boat.

Find a cheap place to dock it.

Find a 23 year old....

sailingdog 03-09-2008 09:44 AM

Well, CP.. you're qualified as an old geezer, but you got no boat... :)

T37Chef 03-09-2008 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardiacpaul (Post 279678)
Find an old geezer with a boat ready to kick off.

Become his new best friend.

Wait patiently.

Comfort the grieving widow.

Have her sign over his beloved boat.

Find a cheap place to dock it.

Find a 23 year old....

Sick, really sick, but very smart! :D