Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-10-2009

thekeip is on a distinguished road
SD...
It's obvious that you're not enthusiastic about using Ozone, but it IS effective and no more harmful than chlorine. It simply doesn't take a high concentration to kill the mold, and for the hour or two it takes there is no damage whatsoever to anything other than the bugs. Further, the lingering odor, what there is of it, is delightfully refreshing.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It is as effective and chlorine is just as destructive, but chlorine bleach on ly goes where you apply it...ozone fills the entire boat and affects everything within the boat... which the bleach won't do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeip View Post
SD...
It's obvious that you're not enthusiastic about using Ozone, but it IS effective and no more harmful than chlorine. It simply doesn't take a high concentration to kill the mold, and for the hour or two it takes there is no damage whatsoever to anything other than the bugs. Further, the lingering odor, what there is of it, is delightfully refreshing.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-10-2009

That's the benefit of it.
hk
Old 04-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That's also the downside of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeip View Post
That's the benefit of it.
hk

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-10-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Mold Away

I killed as much mold as I could last October, and have been killing more as I find it this year. I had a plastic instrument cover for my Nexus display panel that was black. I thought it was dirt. Nope, mold.

I gave it one spray with a product I bought at Boater's World called "Mold Away" and the black instantly vanished, leaving a remarkably clean white plastic cover behind. It was then that I learned that NEXUS was molded into the cover!

Anytime I see mold exposed, I use one squirt of mold away and its gone.
Old 04-10-2009

SD...

Touche!

hk
Old 04-10-2009

alwheeler98 is on a distinguished road
We found using the gigantic buckets of Damp Rid (the kind with the sawdust in the bottom), did a lot to minimize moisture issues over the winter season.

No musty smell in the boat this spring either.

Which is great, since I think there are only so many hours in your life that you should spend in a small, somewhat enclosed, area (like a boat cabin) using bleach as a primary cleaning product.

I think I'm pretty close to my quota.
Old 07-29-2011
Banned

SailaroundtheKeys is on a distinguished road
I have used a product for years, Kanberra Gel and it has keep my Pearson mold free. I'm not hooked on the smell, too much turpin for my liking. So as I researched the web I found a product on line (commercial link deleted) that has a great smell, cost less and lasts longer than the Kanberra. I have an 8 ounce container on my boat and with one of the solar powered vents, we have no mold. So far it has lasted about 50% longer than the KG. It's worth a try.

Last edited by tdw; 08-03-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Commercial Self Promotion.