SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Black Mold (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/41190-black-mold.html)

gentryd 03-09-2008 08:32 AM

Black Mold

I have a Hunter 27 that I am re-painting this spring. I have a pretty good amount of black mold above the quarter berth. I dealt with mold remediation several years ago in my home and found that a 50/50 mixture of chlorox and water is effective in killing the mold followed by a Kiltz primer. I'm thinking of doing the same with the mold in the boat. I know that chlorine is used widely in fiberglass swimming pools and such, mixed with large volumes of water. My question is does anyone know of any detremental effects of applying chlorine directly to fiberglass or of some other marine product suitable for this purpose?

sailingdog 03-09-2008 08:41 AM

Chlorine bleach is fine for cleaning off the mold, provided you rinse it with water afterwards. Fiberglass is generally not harmed by bleach, and many new bath enclosures are fiberglass. Lysol or something similiar might also be a good idea. I don't know if I'd use Kilz primer over the fiberglass though. Last year a new product was introduced which was a spray that was designed to be used as a preventative measure against surface mold.

However, none of these measures will help unless you take steps to eliminate the cause of the mold forming. Usually it is either a leak or inadequate ventilation.

cardiacpaul 03-09-2008 09:29 AM

kilz won't stick to 'glass

sailingdog 03-09-2008 09:46 AM

It would if you used an epoxy primer...but that kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cardiacpaul (Post 279675)
kilz won't stick to 'glass

T37Chef 03-09-2008 11:22 AM

AS the Dog mentioned, you also need to think about how to reduce or eliminate the mold from returning, otherwise your just wasting your time.

Ventilation, Ventilation, Ventalation...passive and mechanical, dorades in combination with something like Nicro Solar Vents, and determine if there is a leak.

I am installing the solar vents this year and when I can a couple of electric vents as well, already have 4 large dorades.

fcsob 03-09-2008 01:47 PM

Google, impact mold killer. I used this in my home & boat. Bleach wont kill all the molds.

sailingdog 03-09-2008 07:14 PM

I've got two Nicro vents on my boat...worth every penny. :) But ventilation doesn't help much if the boat has leaks.

gentryd 03-11-2008 10:48 AM

Black Mold

Thanks for all the input. I had a couple of leaks that I think I've fixed but not in the area of the mold. Hadn't thought of ventilation but it makes good sense and will definately install a few. Sailingdog, you mentioned a new product introduced last year, any idea what its called? Thanks again for all the help.

sailingdog 03-11-2008 01:56 PM

Try this webpage, believe the stuff was the 3M Marine Mildew Block. :)

bwindrope 03-13-2008 01:16 AM

Simple green works well on mold

In my experience here in the wet NW, I find Simple Green does a great job of removing and curing mold problems. My headliner will sometimes get some mold despite my ventilation efforts, but once or twice a year I wipe it with Simple Green and it stays gone. Nice that it is not too toxic too. Worth a try. I like the residual smell better than bleach too.

I also use a liberal amount of lemon oil on all my wood surfaces, which is most of my boat interior. In addition to oiling and beautifying the wood, it is evidently deadly to mold spores. Don Casey trick.

Good luck.