SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Propeller for C & C Corvette

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·

I have a Corvette where the previous owner replaced the original Atomic 4 gasoline engine with a Yanmar 2GM20F diesel.

Performance under power is sluggish to say the least. I assume it is due to the original propeller. The previous owner did not change the prop. Has anyone else who has made such a change have any tips on finding, selecting or modifying for such a change.

#2 ·

There is a set formula for horse power and shaft size. Contact any good prop shop or manufacturer and they can give you optimal prop sizes. I went from a two blade folding to three blade feathering on my C&C 34+. It changed the entire way the boat behaved under power.

#3 ·

harvh:
I was aware of the formula considering displacement, beam, length, engine, and a few additional factors. The key, as you suggested is to locate a "good" prop shop. After talking to several prop (local & national) folks who seemed to be afraid of this change I found Bill Jennings at Ace Propeller out in Washington who tackled the task head-on. Long story short, I got the new prop on this weekend, and hopefully will be testing it in less than a week. Will let you know how it performs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.