Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-10-2008
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Well ... that was easy

Spent part of this weekend cutting out and sewing our San Juan 21's new working jib. It is 5.4 oz dacron from Sailrite, miter cut, roller furling. Designed on the free Sailcut software; lofted and cut by hand. (Basting tape is da schnitz!) Total build time 1.5 days; cost, under $200.

Had a difficult time getting these photos -- wind was shifty and right on the nose. Looks like we'll need to fart around with hoist height, luff tension, and jib car placement. But otherwise, I'm pretty pleased. Here's the full layout kit:

And the finished doodad. Awaiting telltales. And yes, it has a leach line.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Bob that looks like a wonderful job. Let us know how she sails with it.
I'm thinking of making a dinghy sail, friend has a sailrite machine and one of our YC folks has the local sailrite francise.
Old 03-10-2008
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Thanks, Chuckles. You should have a go. Much simpler than it looks. Even a home machine will plow through up to 4 layers, though it may be unhappy at seams. For the real thick areas, like the corner patches, I drove the balance wheel manually. My old, gorgeous, cast-iron Necchi laughed -- laughed! -- at the task. Until the little catch-spring thingy on the tensioner went AWOL at the next-to-last seam. (We'll find it some night, barefoot.) Finished up with my GF's Brother lightweight. T'was a comedown.

The trickiest bit was wrestling all that material around and feeding it smoothly thru the machine. A few things helped:
-- Increase the foot pressure. Unless you have a walking foot or puller, the material is slick and needs lots of down-pressure.
-- Dab some silicone on the needle from time to time.
-- Fill three or four bobbins at once. You burn thru them fast!
-- Clothespins or (better) spring clamps and some masking tape will keep the sail either side of the seam neatly rolled, allowing you to feed it as a semi-rigid unit. The whole scroll can be folded to accommodate room size.
-- This is easiest done sitting on the floor. Hamstrings are tight today.

I sewed the two big, upper seams with a dark green thread to act as a draft stripe, but it's too hard to see. Rats. BTW, Chuckles, your hairless avatar is weirder than mine. I have weird hairless creature avatar envy.