Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-10-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Starting Battery - Yanmar 3GM

Folks,

Looking for advice on the SMALLEST size battery that can handle the starting loads of a Yanmar 3GM30F (3-cylinder diesel) engine.

I am confident that a Group 24 battery can do the job. But I would like to try a U-1 battery. A WM Group 24 (AGM) has 660 MCA, whereas the U-1 has 240 MCA. Would this be enough?

The reason I want to go smaller is that I have limited space, and also would like to save weight. Furthermore, we don't have a high-output alternator or smart regulator, so I don't want to create a bank of batteries that is too large for our charging system.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2008

Paul_L is on a distinguished road
Take a look at the Lifeline AGM starter batteries:
Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries
32 lbs and 850cca

Paul L
Old 03-10-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Charging a starting battery really is not a consideration for the alternator. The energy needed to start a motor is tiny compared to a house bank, and the energy is replaced very quickly, unless you are labouring the starter motor.
Old 03-10-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The starter is 1000watts and at 12V that is 83amps + some loss. Let's call it 90 amps of current. A 240MCA battery can sustain 240amps for 30 seconds before becoming TOTALLY dead. I think you will be cutting it very close with that battery especially since 3GM's have a rep for being difficult to start. Does yours take a while to get it to turn over?
If you want to try this....Sears has a Gold diehard garden tractor U1 size with 340CCA's (more stringent than MCA's) that may give you a bit more margin for error.
Old 03-10-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Not a place to skimp.
Old 03-10-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
The starter is 1000watts and at 12V that is 83amps + some loss. Let's call it 90 amps of current. A 240MCA battery can sustain 240amps for 30 seconds before becoming TOTALLY dead. I think you will be cutting it very close with that battery especially since 3GM's have a rep for being difficult to start. Does yours take a while to get it to turn over?
If you want to try this....Sears has a Gold diehard garden tractor U1 size with 340CCA's (more stringent than MCA's) that may give you a bit more margin for error.
Okay, I sort of knew this answer was coming. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I won't share my idea to wire together 8 AAA Energizers!

No, our engine starts fairly easily (except in sub 40 F -- no glow plugs), but I still would not want to cut it that close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_L View Post
Take a look at the Lifeline AGM starter batteries:
Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries
32 lbs and 850cca Paul L
Paul, thanks for that link, I wasn't aware of that particular Lifeline starting battery. Dimensionally it's fairly close to the standard U1 form factor, but with a lot more output. Anyone tried this battery? Cam, thoughts? Our current Lifeline AGMs have given us great service.

Rockter, I'm at 55 amps (nominally) alt output with a 220-230 ah house bank already. But you're probably right, I normally won't be drawing this starting battery down like the house bank. Hopefully the larger size won't over tax the charging capability of the alternator..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-10-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
There are some smaller batteries than the 24 that are as powerfull. Most of the new cars have smaller batteries as will as 100+ altinators.
Groups 56 and 72 come to mind.
Old 03-10-2008
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Interesting

I guess I am very different. I use a 12 Volt Battery. Guess that Scary today for me, when mine getting weak at 9 years old and out of warranty!

There are $50 batteries out there that last 9 years for the money???? With proper care.

I interested now! Very good question.

Damn, woman says I should add something. I not know, maybe buy a sailboat???? But, I not use much of a battery on a sailboat????

I have had motorboats? but, that different!

Last edited by Gryzio; 03-10-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Gryz...the batteries we are discussing ARE 12V batteries...just different sizes and cranking power.

JRP... that Lifeline looks pretty good to me. The MCA of 550 (MCA=CCA @ 0 degrees F) ...is pretty close to the Group 24 and if you have no problems with the 24 then I'd say it is worth a shot if you can fit it.
I would NOT worry about your charging capacity from the alternator at all. Starting will take 90 amps for 15 seconds or so...which means less than ONE amp hour to be replaced. Even a whole minute of starting is only 1.5 amp hours! About the same as running a cabin light for an hour!!
Old 03-11-2008

Thanks again everybody -- very helpful.

Cam, I am inclined to try that Lifeline GPL 1400T that Paul linked to. It prices out at $180 (BD Batteries - delivered) which is steep for a battery of this size (I paid about that price for our Grp 31s albeit 5 years ago -- looks like prices have gone way up). But given their track record on our boat, I know Lifelines represent good value.

I had toyed with the idea of doing some R&D with an Odyssey battery like the PC1200 ( PC 1200 Deepcycle Odyssey Battery, Marine Heavy Duty Battery, Diesel, Trolling Motors - Odyssey Drycell Batteries ), but I haven't found a price for them yet. I expect it will be pricier than the Lifeline, and I really need to cap out the costs of this project....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.