Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
good points, especially the last. skimping on navigation charts or good ground tackle just make me wonder wtf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Be aware also that some insurance companies will not cover and will reject claims if it is revealed that the vessel was using photocopied/reprinted charts.

And if you do photocopy or print, be aware that with the exception of laser machines, moisture (droplets or spills) will soon turn your chart into a tie-dyed nightmare.

It's always kind of a mystery to me how people will spend heaps of money on toys and then try and save it on navigation fundamentals like decent quality charts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Might want to RE-READ CHUCKLESR's post. It clearly says NON-US WATERS. He didn't say there was a problem for getting charts for SeaClear II for US Waters... just that doing so for other waters makes it a less than ideal solution
And my points are that Seaclear was not orginally created for use with US digital charts and I didn't know Chuckles planned to leave the bay anytime soon and therefore chart avalibilty would not be a problem for him as it is for the OP.

Seaclear was designed by a guy that scanned his paper charts and that process is documented so others could follow it if you have paper charts of whatever areas you'll be sailing. Yes scanning charts would be a PITA and I agree that in that case Seaclear is more of a solution for the "alpha-geek" type sailor that both enjoys the technological challenges and will be sailing in non-us waters.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 10-30-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-30-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecs123 View Post
Ok... after researching my options, decided to go the way with a usb generic gps and a laptop to get started with gps navigation.
Installed SeaClear II and everything is running fine now.
Care to share how you got that generic USB GPS to talk to Seaclear? I've done half a dozen things and I still get "cannot open COM PORT X" in Seaclear.

Yes, I've got and have installed the serial port emulator. No dice.

The USB GPSes give me accurate lat/lon with their rudimentary software, but I can't get Seaclear to recognize their NMEA 183 output.
Old 10-30-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
You have to go to Tools/Properties/Comm and set the Comm port you want. You probably need to set the Comm Port for your USB port in Device Manager like I did. Set the baud rate at 4800 for both Seaclear and the Port in DM.
Old 10-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It also depends on the device driver for the USB GPS... Some don't show up as a comm port but as a USB serial device... not quite the same thing.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-31-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
You have to go to Tools/Properties/Comm and set the Comm port you want. You probably need to set the Comm Port for your USB port in Device Manager like I did. Set the baud rate at 4800 for both Seaclear and the Port in DM.
I did that. I've been fooling with computers since the days of punch cards. Assigning ports and screwing with the parameters holds no fear for me... ...but I can't get either USB GPS to feed data to SeaClear.

I've also read a number of threads on cruisers' sites...nada.

I'm looking for an alternative to Seaclear that is free and "sees" USB GPSes, just so I can try out laptop chartplotting.
Old 10-31-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I don't have my GPS (USB) plugged in so I can't go see what it's showing in Device Manager. I remember having to find that device and set it's Comm Port values when it was plugged in though. The GPS by itself wouldn't show up so I bought an elcheapo from EBay that worked fine. After that it was simple to set it up.
Old 10-31-2008

WesterlyPageant is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I had trouble at 1st too. Now I pulg in the USB before I open Seaclear and don't open the USB program and it seems to find it OK. If the GPS reciever program is running it seems to give me the can't find comm 4 error. I had to spend some time and verify the comm port and that the Baud Rates matched, but the real trick was to plug in, then start up Seaclear.

If your Reciever program shows that it's talking I think you're almost there.

Im using a StarIII receiver I got off ebay for under $30 and it works great!

Hope that is of help.

Last edited by WesterlyPageant; 10-31-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2008

Yes, it may well be. I will try it later today. I have used the bundled program to verify acquisition, but maybe I should just plug in, wait 10 minutes for "assured acquisition" and then start Seaclear.

If this works, it will confirm the Law of Its Always the Little Things.
Old 11-02-2008

UPDATE:

Success! Westerly Pageant's suggestion that I just plug in the USB GPS, wait until it blinks to confirm acquisition and THEN start Seaclear gave me a fix right away, which I confirmed by running up and down the path of my garden to create a track of five knots (tree branches required slowing down).

So reputation has been rendered and now I can start scanning in charts and downloading a horde of U.S. ones to test out the program.

Of course, my boat's hauled now, but I should have the program sussed by spring.

Thanks again. This was severely testing my patience...and of course is the one thing I have never seen mentioned as the source of possible conflict.

I'll be the fellow marching around the park tomorrow staring at my laptop, making sharp turns.