SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   SeaClear II up and running... and now? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/41267-seaclear-ii-up-running-now.html)

alecs123 03-11-2008 01:52 PM

SeaClear II up and running... and now?

Ok... after researching my options, decided to go the way with a usb generic gps and a laptop to get started with gps navigation.
Installed SeaClear II and everything is running fine now.
However, the most dificult part is to get charts... Let me say, I'm in Mexico and am looking for Mexico west coast charts (say Acapulco to Baja - Cortez Sea)
The only authority who provides that info is Mexican Navy, worthless to tell you how squareminded they are. Therefore I ask the experts and actual sailors... Those of you that have come down the west coast, how did you get the charts? Will someone share (as in shareware) or sell in electronic format?
Thanks a lot

sailingdog 03-11-2008 02:53 PM

I hope you're planning on getting paper charts as well as using electronic ones. Relying solely on electronic charts is somewhat foolhardy...if not outright stupid.

alecs123 03-11-2008 03:02 PM

sure I do plan to have the charts on paper... But I need them in electronic format first and then print them on my office plotter, that's easier and faster than to do business with Mexican Navy, I've called them more than 10 times and visited their office twice and no one can give information

chucklesR 03-11-2008 03:03 PM

Getting charts is the #1 reason why Sea Clear was not my solution. Perhaps you should have added obtaining charts to your research, no offense.

Getting charts of non-US Waters compounds that. Try Google - I got this:

MEXICO NAUTICAL CHARTS - Nautical Charts of Mexico - East View Cartographic

sailingdog 03-11-2008 03:06 PM

Chuckles, the auto linking software screwed your link to hell and back... that's why I usually post links as the word LINK, so that doesn't happen.

emagin 10-30-2008 02:25 AM

Any progress on this?
Digital Mexico charts appear to be really tough to find.

sailingdog 10-30-2008 06:57 AM

Getting charts of mexico in digital format isn't all that hard... if you're willing to pay for them. :)

PalmettoSailor 10-30-2008 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 280930)
Getting charts is the #1 reason why Sea Clear was not my solution. Perhaps you should have added obtaining charts to your research, no offense.

Getting charts of non-US Waters compounds that. Try Google - I got this:

MEXICO NAUTICAL CHARTS - Nautical Charts of Mexico - East View Cartographic

What's the problem with getting US charts for Seaclear? I've got the entire Chesapeake and could get the rest of the US if I wanted.

Also bear in mind that Seaclear was not developed for NOAA charts but it does work fine with them and they are free. The orginator of the software had to scan his charts and there is documentation how to scan paper charts and register them so the position is accurate. We're fortunate that we can just go download our charts for free.

sailingdog 10-30-2008 07:17 AM

Might want to RE-READ CHUCKLESR's post. It clearly says NON-US WATERS. He didn't say there was a problem for getting charts for SeaClear II for US Waters... just that doing so for other waters makes it a less than ideal solution
Quote:

Originally Posted by midlifesailor (Post 392890)
What's the problem with getting US charts for Seaclear? I've got the entire Chesapeake and could get the rest of the US if I wanted.

Also bear in mind that Seaclear was not developed for NOAA charts but it does work fine with them and they are free. The orginator of the software had to scan his charts and there is documentation how to scan paper charts and register them so the position is accurate. We're fortunate that we can just go download our charts for free.

Omatako 10-30-2008 07:35 AM

Be aware also that some insurance companies will not cover and will reject claims if it is revealed that the vessel was using photocopied/reprinted charts.

And if you do photocopy or print, be aware that with the exception of laser machines, moisture (droplets or spills) will soon turn your chart into a tie-dyed nightmare.

It's always kind of a mystery to me how people will spend heaps of money on toys and then try and save it on navigation fundamentals like decent quality charts.