Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-14-2008

rugila is on a distinguished road
About masts

A couple of questions....

I'm continuing repairs/refurbishment on my 34ft locally built (mainly been doing electrics) and have now got around to looking at the mast. Aluminium, deck stepped.

1. It has elongated holes in the sides about 3ft from deck for the halyards. What usually happens to rainwater or heavy seas when they go into these holes? Does the water finish up in the bilges (running down inside the compression post) or should there be some other hole in the mast just above deck level to drain the water out again?

2. I've never been to the top of a mast, but this is coming up very soon. Some repairs are needed - coax cable, wiring for steaming, spreader and anchor lights, conduit put in etc. So question is - how are aluminium masts normally finished off at the top? I assume they have some sort of cap which is either welded or bolted on to keep out weather etc. I'm just interested in any info about the general practices of boat builders when finishing off mast tops. Welding, bolting, whatever they felt like on the day...?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
1) The elongated holes are called halyard slots and usually have a cast fitting put into them to protect the line from chafe and help it lead fair. Most masts aren't sealed, so will let the water out at the base. This is often a cause of wet bilges on keel stepped mast boats.

2) Most aluminum masts have a cast or machined piece at the top that holds the windex, anchor lights and masthead sheaves. This piece also is where the tangs for the shrouds and stays connects. It should be held in place by two or more bolts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook