Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-16-2008

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Set the clutch on a manual windlass

Here's a simple question-- how does one set and use the clutch on a Lofrans Royal windlass, manual version--

I know it has to do with the following-- 'Clutch to release chain is operated by releasing the triple spiked side nut.'

Does that mean that the triple spiked nut pulls out and then moves forward or back, or that it simply turns forward or back? The unit is brand new, and on my first tries it seemed like the triple spiked side nut wasn't easily moving anywhere.

Thanks. We're planning a four day cruise for sometime next week, and this is one of the details to work out first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I hate to be obvious, but if it's new, didn't it come with a manual? And if not, did you try their website for one?

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-16-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
I hate to be obvious, but if it's new, didn't it come with a manual? And if not, did you try their website for one?
The Italian website doesn't have the manual for this model, which may or may not be on the boat. (Previous owner was good about keeping manuals, but I don't recall if I've seen that one yet.)

I'm assuming it's a "step on" to loosen the nut sort of affair, but I'm looking to confirm before stepping...

Old 03-16-2008

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
As you turn the clutch nut, "triple spiked side nut", counterclockwise your anchor will fall, turn it clockwise to tighten and lock it.
Old 03-16-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnblu View Post
As you turn the clutch nut, "triple spiked side nut", counterclockwise your anchor will fall, turn it clockwise to tighten and lock it.
Excellent. Thanks for the answer, Capnblu.

Old 03-16-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Or you could simply secure the chain with a claw, and experiment in a way that won't take your fingers off!
Old 03-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Basically, the triple spoke piece is a giant nut. It may have been overtightened before the windlass was shipped...so may be difficult to work initially.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-16-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Jim H wrote:

"Here's a simple question-- how does one set and use the clutch on a Lofrans Royal windlass, manual version--"

--------

At the risk of teaching you how to suck eggs , I offer the following: Use of the clutch nut is descirbed above, but one thing that wasn't mentioned is the technique of using it in letting chain out. If you haven't used a windlass before (or chain rode), it's generally not a good idea to loosen up the clutch and let the chain run free. The method I use is to loosen the clutch enough for the chain to run to the bottom and then tighten it so that the rode runs slowly out as the boat drifts back. You control the rate of chain deployment with the amount of friction on the clutch.
Old 03-17-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Perhaps the best analogy is that of the tension knob on a stationary bike, as most people have laid hands on that at least once in the last few decades.

I have a Lofrans Tigre, by the way, as yet uninstalled, so I have both manual and electric to mangle my fingers in the future.
Old 03-17-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Walking the chain out slowly, as billyruffin says, until your hook is on the bottom prevents ending up with a fouled ball of chain on the bottom and a useless anchor. Ships are able to use stud-link chain which is self-stowing or anti-fouling in it's performance. Boats are unable to make use of htis type of chain due to it's construction/size amd our chain is perfectly capable of forming a Gordian knot on the bottom.

Letting her run can also result in a loss of control causing interesting effects upon the chain locker where you do have the bitter end secured?