Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-16-2008

bristol321 is on a distinguished road
lpg location

Well,
The refit continues. Now that the bristol is mechanically ready (Rigging, engine, structure, systems) Its now time for the peripherals. First replaced the stove. She used to have a pressurized alcohol stove but that was original and is now replaced with an lpg stove. The boat had a storage locker in the galley for the alcohol tank that would take some alteration to fit an lpg tank. Downside is that its within the cabin. Other option is a lazarette in the cockpit, downside: leaks would drift to engine compartment. Last option (unless someone has a btter idea) on the deck. Downside: just plain ugly, like an appliance on your front porch.

Where do you keep your lpg tanks? Any ideas solutions etc? As always thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Depending on the room in your lazarette, you can build a sealed locker, vented to a thru-hull. There are some ready built lockers available as well. Inside the boat is definitely not good.

I've seen canisters on the stern rail, on the coachtop, and areas in between. All open.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
My last boat, a full height, aft cabin ketch, had a dedicated propane tank locker under a step leading to the aft deck/helm. The tread served as a lid accessing an FRP molded cavity and was equipped with a drain which exited the starboard side, above normal heeling waterline. Of course, the solenoid and OPD valve was also accessible as well. Either of the two teak helm seats are designed to store extra tanks safely, due to having bottom vents as well.

My boat's setup, similarly as center cockpit boat designs, can easily utilize this locker location - but typical boats are more challenging. I've considered what I'd do re: retrofitting a typical sailboat cockpit's lazerette by examining these OEM setups.

Aside from an above deck locker, it seems the best design scenario would be to enclose a section of the lazerette with FRP or starboard panels and since propane is heavier than air, work in a drain at the low point, with a hose led to an above water, transom through-hull. Of course this is just speculation.

EDIT - John beat me to it . . . slow typer this evening (g)
Old 03-16-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Sealed locker in the lazarette is the only 'good' option, with overboard drainage that is not into your engine compartment. If your lazarette currently drains into your engine compartment and is not vital to the necessary cubic foot per minute of air flow needed for it you should seal it off anyway.
Sealed painted, epoxied and filleted would seal it for 30 - 40 buck. Vent it overboard the same way you would a gasoline storage locker. If it's big enough you have LPG storage and dinghy gas storage all in one.

Edit - the boys above all both faster - I'd not have a steel tank topsides. If you MUST go with a back deck look and mount the tank on a rail look at the fiberglass tanks - prettier and don't rust.
Old 03-16-2008
Armchair Horn Sailor

Alden68 is on a distinguished road
I have explored this issue before and found that alcohol made sense because it can be stored in the cabin. Adding a dedicated locker in the cockpit for lpg required space that my boat did not have. Your bristol might have a real tight stern like my boat limiting your locations. Most importat for you is to make sure the lpg is stored outside in a sealed compartment that is vented via a thru hull. LPG is heavier than air so it will collect in your bilges and engine compartment and the explosions tend to be destructive which would ruin all of your hard work!
Old 03-17-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Other option is a lazarette in the cockpit, downside: leaks would drift to engine compartment.
I just want to make sure you understand that the above quoted solution is NOT an option! Right? It only becomes an option if you build a new sealed, over-board vented locker for the tank(s). This would be the best solution in the long-run. With a remote solenoid shut-off switch.

But it sounds like you're in the midst of a major refit. So if you want to hold off on this project for the time being, you could simply stern-mount the tank(s) and run your propane line back to them. Here' an example of how it's been done on a Bristol Channel Cutter, not half-bad looking either:

I've also seen boats where the tanks were simply attached to the stern rails with hose-clamp arrangements (foregoing the custom brackets, $$). Just give some thought to where a future propane locker might be situated, and make sure you run the propane line along a path that would take it through the future locker.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-17-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Would not getting boarding waves from the stern wreck havoc on such a system? Not to mention that they are somewhat difficult to change tanks?
Old 03-17-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Would not getting boarding waves from the stern wreck havoc on such a system? Not to mention that they are somewhat difficult to change tanks?
That's a fairly robust arrangement they have -- I wouldn't much worry about following seas except maybe in the most extreme conditions. After exiting the hull, the propane lines are sleeved with a UV inhibiting material, so they should be okay too. Looks like they added plenty of slack in the line so they can pull the cylinder out of the bracket and swap tanks while working inboard the cockpit. I do wonder about the exposed pressure regulators and solenoid valve, though.

Again, it's not my first recommendation, only a viable alternative. Best practice is an enclosed, vented locker.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-17-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Im going to be doing this very project on my Pearson 36. Im going to seal off my lazarette locker from the rest of the boat. Its large enough for 2 20# tanks and can hold a small Honda genny, with room to spare. Im planning on useing the fibreglass tanks that are out now, Im going to have 2 tanks, one for he stove and one for the grill. Both will have cut off valves with the switches in the nav station.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 03-18-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I had this link saved, it might be helpful to someone looking to build a propane locker.

http://www.practical-sailor.com/news...878propane.pdf

Last edited by Freesail99; 03-18-2008 at 12:17 PM.