Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-17-2008
1994 Catalina 270

Trescool is on a distinguished road
Painting a 1994 Catalina 270 - $3500 strip and paint?

Does that sound high? What should I expect to pay. I currently have a few original coats (never stripped) but some are chipping all the way down to gelcoat.

It is being dry-docked right now in Bay Head/Pt. Pleasant, NJ. I remember hearing that I cannot do any work myself.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I know when I had my boat in for a paint quote on my 80 Catalina 27 - they came back with $8K (hence why I did it myself)....but they only use awlgrip so, perhaps that explains most of the cost.

Questions to ask - what kind of paint, and warranty...and definitely check out paint jobs that they have done on other boats in their yard...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-17-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Are we comparing the same thing.
Sounds like Jody is talking about topsides and trescool is talking about bottom paint.

Quote:
I currently have a few original coats
Bottom job is something you should be able to takle yourself and save a ton of money. The hard part is stripping off the old stuff and that is where a lot of labor bills will come from. Nothing cheap about owning a boat.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-17-2008

capttb is on a distinguished road
My yard charges $1200 to haul out and paint the bottom of my 270 with 2 coats & a third coat at the waterline using Petit Trinidad. I've been told that the cost of stripping can double or triple the cost but I've not had to go there yet.
Old 03-17-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Are we comparing the same thing.
Sounds like Jody is talking about topsides and trescool is talking about bottom paint.

Bottom job is something you should be able to takle yourself and save a ton of money. The hard part is stripping off the old stuff and that is where a lot of labor bills will come from. Nothing cheap about owning a boat.
You are probably right - in which case I paid $550 for pressure washing and adding a coat of ablative...(not including cost of haul out)...Have them strip /sand - you can roll the paint yourself...its kinda simple work to roll the stuff on...

S/V "
" -

Old 03-17-2008
1994 Catalina 270

Trescool is on a distinguished road
Yes, it is for a bottom paint job.

I thought there were EPA legal-restrictions on stripping and/or painting your own boat... or am I wrong about that?
Old 03-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trescool View Post
Yes, it is for a bottom paint job.

I thought there were EPA legal-restrictions on stripping and/or painting your own boat... or am I wrong about that?
There are processes that have to be adhered to - but nothing EPA related prevents one from doing it ones-self... The boatyard can give the boatyard rules that you must adhere to (and that they will enforce)... but most DIY yards or yards that allow self-work....

Usually entails a drop cloth under the entire area, plastic sheeting sealed to the ground around the entire boat to create a shield, and use of sanding tools that allow attachment to vacuum...Safety wise - the proper masks - and some yards may require special air masks for breathing as the bottom paint is toxic in general but sanding creates very small micro bits in the air...If sanding by hand then sometimes those rules are relaxed to just the special types of masks that have very fine filters...

The painting - drop cloth underneath....open area...

Sums it up in a nutshell...

S/V "
" -

Last edited by artbyjody; 03-17-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2008

flatfoot is on a distinguished road
Trescool, a question I have delt with recently. You can expect to pay approximately $125.00/foot. Get really clear what you are getting for your money. stripping (inspect it), bottom coat (barrier paint matters), ablative (multi season or annual, annual build up thick fast *this is almost a direct quote from an old salt *). Of course the more specific you get, the more adders you have. This is our first boat and we still have coin in our pockets and dew in our eyes. Hope this helps, good luck.

Flatfoot
Old 03-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
By annual, I think flatfoot is talking about hard epoxy paints... rather than ablatives, which do not build up.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-17-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
A guy at my last marina did the same job on my Beneteau 285 for $1000, including materials. This was by far the best bottom job any of my boats got (including properly epoxying the keel). The thing is - he really worked for the sake of the high quality job, he likes doing that stuff, beleive it or not.

That said, yards are going to differ and the bigger the yard and the more proud if its "clean marina" designation it is - the more expensive this job will get. It certainly can go over $100 a foot,though I think less is still reasonable if you poke around.

As far as EPA is concerned - you have to have a tarp under your boat while stripping, control the run-off and have a vacuum based sander (though sometimes I notice people, including yard personnel, run the vacuum but not really connect it to the sander and don't have an effective hood on it Oh well )