Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-19-2008
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Trouble mounting new bow light.....

I just bought a new bow light for my boat, I bought a rail mount to mount it to the bow rail.

The previous bow light, I believe, was broken off because the P/O ran it into the dock at a low tide. The old bracket which was welded to the rail broke off and the light and bracket are nowhere to be found.

My problem is this:

I cannot get to the wire that is ran up through the bow rail. I dont think it is very far from the hole where it used to come out at. I am thinking that I can just pull it back out somehow and use it again. Doing so would be easier than running a whole new wire.

The wire comes up through the hull and through the hollow tubing that makes up the railing.

Any tricks or tips on how to reach the wire? It is not visible through the small hole but I dont think it could be far.

Thank yall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
About the most you could expect to do, is push it back through from the other end, which is unlikely. I think it would be easier to run new wire from the bow, out through the end of the tubing and then splice it to the old wire.

Even if you could get the old wire back through the hole, it probably won't have enough play to reattach it to the new fixture.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 03-19-2008
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Well, I tried both running a new wire and pushing it up through bottom this past weekend.

The problem with running a new wire is that it has to a 90* turn in order to go down th ebow rail, and I couldnt get it to do that. Then, I took the one base of the railing up a little and attempted to push the wire but couldnt get good leverage on it. I would have to take the railing completely off probably to do that.

Someone suggested to me to try an electrition's fish?

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 03-19-2008

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Try this. If it works, great. If not, them you're no worse off than you are now.

1. Pull the old wire through the bottom of the pulpit. You already have the pulpit unbolted, so it should be easy. Pulling is far easier than pushing!

2. Pull the ground wire from a length of stiff house wire (single strand 10 or 12 gauge). It's uncovered, so you won't have to strip off the plastic coating.

3. Push it through the hole where the bow light wire should be toward the base of the pulpit. It's stiff enough to push past the elbow.

4. When it exits the bottom of the pulpit, put a small hook on the end with a pair of needle nose pliers.

5. Clip the old wire, but leave enough to attach a new length of wire to it. That is, don't clip it flush with the deck!! Don't do this step until you complete step 3, or you could be screwed.

6. Attach the new wire to the old one using proper splicing methods.

7. Strip off about an inch of insulation from the other end of the positive and negative strands of the new wire and join them making a sort of loop. Hook the loop over the hook in the stiff wire and neatly wrap the joint with duct tape for strength

7. Pull through from the bow light end.

Oughta work......
Old 03-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem is if the wire is actually making a 90˚ turn, most things, including house wire, electrical fish tapes, and such, won't be able to make the turn successfully.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-19-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I think a long but flexible wire that you can use to fish the new wire down below is what is needed. Clutch control cables interior wire works well for this and most boat yards have some old one lying around from engine repairs. Failing that you are faced with either a complete removal of the pulpit OR making a new deck exit for the wire with a hole and cable clam and running the wire up the pulpit from there. No fun unless you get lucky with the "fish" wire!
Old 03-19-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
You need to contact sailhog, who has a very close colonoscopy doctor friend who is always willing to stick his scope into tight places.

I understand these devices have a light and video camera at the end, along with a remote tool with various attachments, such as forceps and unmentionables. No problem snagging that elusive wire with this guy.

PM sailhog for details on how to reach him.

Old 03-19-2008

thekeip is on a distinguished road
As a last resort you could try the cotton ball and dental floss trick; that's where you tie the end of a piece of floss to the cotton, stuff the ball into the hole and blow hard. Maybe air pressure will work for you......I said it was a last resort.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley
Old 03-19-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
my surveyor told me this so i haven't tried it yet. remove the old wire, from one end insert a piece of thread, something heavier than clothing thread. on the other end attach a wet/dry vac. it should pull the thread through into the wet/dry vac. loop the end of the wire over. tie on the thread, cover with elec tape and pull through.
Old 03-19-2008

thekeip is on a distinguished road
The combination of shop vac and cotton / floss might actually have something going for it....I might even make that my 1st resort.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.