Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-19-2008

mlitzkow is on a distinguished road
Add Inspection Port to Existing Tank

I want to add an inspection port to an existing water tank that is very well buried in the structure of my boat. I know that I saw a product designed for this very task. It consisted of a cover with several holes for screws, a matching gasket, and a matching support plate which goes inside the tank. The neat trick was the the support plate was hinged so you could fit it inside an existing tank even though it must be bigger than the hole you are covering. I have been all over the web, but cannot find this product. I'm sure I saw it in the back of a magazine or some such place a couple of years ago. Does anybody recognize the gadget I'm talking about and know who makes it or where to get it?

thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2008

Pogo-2 is on a distinguished road
The name of the company is seabuilt, goto Seabuilt - Access Plate Systems and their phone # is 360 756 0495 they are in Bellingham Wa. The inspection ports are not cheap but I have ordered one for my water tank and one for my Diesel fuel tank
Old 03-21-2008

okapi3 is on a distinguished road
I am also looking for a source for an inspection port-- to put into a 1/2 inch PVC cover I am fabricating for my water tank; but I would like to find a plastic one--and one that isn't as expensive as the metal ones that Seabuilt offers. Anyone know a source for such a thing?
Old 03-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
why not just use a Beckson deck plate. You can get them with clear center plates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-22-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
This isn't really that difficult for a DIY...

A inspection plate is nothing more than a visible porthole into a tank... Most of the stuff that is used for portlights, can be used here and the same principle applies...unless you are dealing with a pressurized system... but for the most part if you search on portlights - those adaptations will work... as they all have to seal and provide visibility... anything other described for "inspection: is just marketing speak...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or