Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-20-2008

Wolfsong is on a distinguished road
Offshore heaters-lp, diesel, solid fuel-opinions?

I want to put heaters in my Pearson 33 and Tartan 34 to extend the season away from the dock. They would mostly be used at anchor, but possibly underway some protection. There are a lot of different people using the boats. I have an alcohol stove in one and a CNG in the other, so no propane tanks. Engines are diesel. The solid fuel heaters seem like a possibility. Are they dangerous?

Pearson 33 (1971)
Tartan 34-C (1977)
Tartan 37 (1978)
Lake Superior
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
For the kind of application you intend, my preference would be for propane. But since your boats aren't equipped with propane, a good choice would be the diesel versions of the Dickinson Newport stoves.

Start by perusing these threads:

cabin heater

cabin heater ideas

Dickinson Newport Propane Heater

Cutting through hole

solid fuel heaters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 03-20-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would go with a propane heater for the following reasons:

Solid fuel and diesel heaters tend to be pretty smoky and tend to leave exhaust stains on anything over the stack. A solid fuel heater is also going to be the most difficult to fuel for extended periods of time and the messiest to clean up after. You do have to periodically remove the ashes from a solid fuel heater, which isn't the case with a propane or diesel heater. Solid fuel is also harder to keep dry on a boat, and not necessarily easily available at marinas when you're cruising.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-20-2008
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
I have two propane heaters, portable types that run off those green bottles. The heaters I have are approved for indoor heating with oxygen sensors. Although nothing else on the boat is propane, well the BBQ, I carry two tanks and I have an adaptor to refill the green bottles.

Check them out OSH at about $100 each
Old 03-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The only problems with using the heaters that Ian is recommending are that they run the risk of CO poisoning or oxygen depletion and they create a lot of moisture inside the boat, which will lead to mold/mildew problems if not removed from the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-20-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
I have a Dickenson diesel stove in my boat. It is fantastic. It leaves no smoke stains anywhere and burns nice and clean. It keeps the entire boat (33') warm and toasty, like a wood stove in a cabin. It has extended our cruising season and is makes our boat a great place to kick back on a cold winter night. I love it.
It is gravity fed from a day tank that holds 6 gallons. It will run continuously for 7 or 8 days on a tank. I fill the tank from the fuel tanks via a little lift pump. I have never run it full on, the boat would get too warm. I don't often let it run at night when we are sleeping because I'm a bit funny that way. Most people do leave it run. They are very popular here in the PNW on real boats. You see them on liveaboards, fish boats, tugs and many others. I give mine a good clean every year or so. It is 30 years old and all original. That is good value!
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 03-20-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Solid fuel and diesel heaters tend to be pretty smoky and tend to leave exhaust stains on anything over the stack.
Yeah and the sparks can also burn holes in sails and canvas. Just ask my buddy Seth whom you met at the Maine Boat Bulders show. There have been a few interesting "solid fuel issues" over the years that were repaired at his shop.

There is a reason, draft being one, the chimney on the house is far taller than everything else....

If I were to seriously consider a heater, oh wait I have one of those POS Force 10 heaters, I mean consider a real heater, I'd go Webasto or Espar the Dickinson's are nice too..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-20-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
I forgot to mention, the Dickenson uses no power. Zero, zilch! It makes no noise, and has no moving parts. It really is unbelievable.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 03-21-2008

garymcg is on a distinguished road
Let me throw in one more thing about the Dickenson heaters (I have the propane fireplace): Their support is fantastic. I emailed a question about wiring (my fan isn't working) Saturday night and got a very informative reply on Sunday morning, including troubleshooting steps, a wiring diagram, and replacement part numbers if needed.
Old 03-21-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
I fitted an Eberspacher 3 kW, back in 1993.
It does not dry the boat as well as a solid fuel heater, but it is reliable, and easy to start and use.

Back in 1997 it filled the cabin with a thin smoke when I was asleep. I wrote to the manufacturer, got no reply, then wrote again. They sent me a spare glow plug. It has not happened since.

I never run it at night after that. Never.

So, all in, it has been a useful unit. It is virtual life support for end-of-season sailing in the canal system.