Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-23-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingSailor View Post
Dan,

You do know about "Burping" the PSS when the barb is capped off?

Paul
Thanks Paul, yes I do. They say you need to burp it only when the boat first goes in the water, but frankly, I'm paranoid, so I burp it periodically.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think you only need to burp it when it first goes in the water, since you need to get rid of all the air trapped in the seal, so that the water can lubricate the shaft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-23-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I used to have to burp the one on my Catalina after diving on it to scrub the bottom too.

Quote:
I also compared the new and old bellows, the old one was permanently compressed by about 5/8" so it was not putting as much force on the seal as it was supposed to. They recommend replacing bellows every 7-9 years if I remember correctly.
That sounds like good advice. I think I'll get one ordered up for our next haul out.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 03-23-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
What's the issue then? I figured they were concerned about the set screws backing out, the collar slipping and the boat sinking.
If you look closely at the ends of the set screws they have a sharpened tip much like that of a leather punch. This tip is a one time use. They are sharp enough to be screwed into a bronze or stainless shaft once but after that they become dull and won't hold nearly as well. My guess is you could re use them maybe once but I would not try for a third.. When and if you replace them do not replace the with the "cone" or "pointed tip" type and make sure the ends look the same as the ones that came out.. PSS will sometimes send them out to you if you just pay the shipping..

There are different types of set screws but PSS uses the cup style:

Dan,

With $4.00 worth of vent hose, $3.00 worth of hose clamps is all you'd need to vent that seal! Run the hose well above the heeled waterline, it should take less than a half hours time, even if if your really slow, and you'll never need to burp again!! I can't for the life of me understand why people "cap these off"??

P.S. The manufacturer added the vent for a reason why not plumb it in? If your getting carbon it may be because, on occasion, it becomes air bound, runs dry, and gets too hot. ALL PSS seals now ship with the hose barb because they had too many complaints of them running dry EVEN and slow speeds...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-23-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the tip on the set screws. I noticed the tips and the little circles they cut into the shaft. It's easier for me to remember something if I know the "why" behind a particular requirement.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 03-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
Dan,

With $4.00 worth of vent hose, $3.00 worth of hose clamps is all you'd need to vent that seal! Run the hose well above the heeled waterline, it should take less than a half hours time, even if if your really slow, and you'll never need to burp again!! I can't for the life of me understand why people "cap these off"??

P.S. The manufacturer added the vent for a reason why not plumb it in? If your getting carbon it may be because, on occasion, it becomes air bound, runs dry, and gets too hot. ALL PSS seals now ship with the hose barb because they had too many complaints of them running dry EVEN and slow speeds...
I contacted the company about that when we bought it for our current boat because I couldn't find one without the high speed cooling fitting (they used to sell two versions). They said they now produce all of them for the high speed fittings because it was cheaper for them to make one type of stator instead of two. It had nothing to do with complaints about slower boats getting airbound, or at least that's the story I got from them. Also, I believe the "proper" installation is to run the hose to another water source so that water gets forced into the assembly for cooling purposes. I'm almost positive that that's how I've seen them installed on power boats. Of course I could be wrong.

I guess I capped it because I'd prefer to have less openings in the boat then more. But I hear your point, and maybe I'll change it. I'm actually going to the yard today, so I'll spend a little time on that (and my SSB installation!).

Thanks.

Old 03-24-2008

Just spoke with PYI

They say the crystals or shards that I saw in fact was salt (thanks erps). They also say it's no big deal at all, a relatively common occurrence and that I should just take some 600 wet/dry sandpaper folded over and rub it between the carbon and stainless stators a few times.

Also, as to plugging or plumbing the vent hose, they confirmed that plugging it is totally fine provided that you burp upon launching.

So all in all, for a change, this "problem" is not a problem at all and will cost nothing to "fix."