Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-20-2002

sailorman_10 is on a distinguished road
Another rigging question

When sailing either tack in 10 plus knots of wind, I notice slack in the leeward shrouds. The amount of slack is approximately the same on either side, but seems like it has become more noticable in the past year or so. The rigging has not been adjusted in at least two and a half years since I have owned the boat. How much if any slack should be present and how often should rigging be need to be adjusted? The rigging is 20years old but replacing is not an option right now. Boat is a Helms 30 1980 mdl. Thank you for your response.

Randy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Another rigging question

It is not ususual for the leeward shrouds to go a little slack in a breeze, although 10 knots is a little bit early for that to happen. A little bit of sag (to leeward)in the rig is not too bad and is the inevitable effect of shrouds stretching in a breeze.

The amont of sag in a rig will increase over time as shrouds and stays will tend to stretch a little over time and use. That is normal and to be expected. Stretch will can also occur from sources that are not normal and acceptable such as a turnbuckle backing off or a bad swage that has slipped a little. Assuming that you have checked your rigging, I suggest that you take up on your shrouds and stays. Assuming your mast is on center, you need to tighten the upper shrouds and the back and forestay, twice as many turns a your lowers and make sure that you turn each pair (port and starboard) teh same amount. I would start with a single turn of each lower and two turns on the uppers and stays. I would sight up the mast bith at the dock and under sail to make sure the mast is straight at the dock and develops and even curve in a breeze.

The effect of too much sag in a rig is that the mast bends slightly to leeward. This puts more sailcloth into the mainsail, powering up the mainsail, and alos allows the forestay to sag more, powering up the jib, as the breeze increases. This is the opposite of what you want to happen in a breeeze as more powerful sail shapes will increase heeling and weather helm.

Jeff
Old 05-21-2002

sailorman_10 is on a distinguished road
Another rigging question

thank you Jeff H. You mentioned the fore and backstays. I did not consider those but in thinking about it, when hard on the wind there is probably a maximum of 6" of curvature in the furler foil on the forestay. I assume by what your saying that this should be considerably less.

Randy
Old 05-21-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Another rigging question

6" of forstay sag is enormous for a 25 footer and is hard in the furler as well.

Jeff