Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-25-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Talking

If your boom extends well into the cockpit (I think the 31's does?) I would suspend a piece of 2 or 2 1/2" steel pipe below the boom running from the front of the companionway hatch to the back of the boom. Secure it with several loops of strong line at the front and back. Support the boom with halyards where the lines holding the pipe are. I would lift the engine with a good come-along, or better yet, a chain hoist. You will want to be guiding the engine as you lift it and being able to raise and lower it as needed will be a big help, especially when installing the new one. If you attach the come-along or chain hoist to the pipe with a short section of chain once you raise the engine up high enough you will be able to slide the engine out the companionway (push the chain on the pipe) Then swing the boom over to the dock to unhook. You should be able to raise the boom with the halyards if you need additional height to clear the lifelines, but secure the engine well before you tilt the boom. I would hook two halyards at the aft end of the pipe and one at the forward end. Should be a piece of cake, just like all boat projects .

I kind of like Erps idea for testing the whole rig prior to the actual job

Good luck, John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook