SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Engine Removal (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/41617-engine-removal.html)

dhornsey 03-24-2008 04:19 PM

Engine Removal

Hi All,

I'm looking for ideas/advice on removing our old engine. This will be done at the dock without the advantage of a crane.

It seems that others have accomplished this by attaching a block to their boom, over the lift point, and then using their main halyard to do the lifting. Using some pulleys, a come along, or a chain hoist to take care of the actual force.

I'm expecting once we remove the peripherals the amount of weight we'll need to lift will be somewhere around 350 pounds. We have 3 halyards available on our 31 foot cutter, presumably I could rig 2 as backups. Can a typical halyard handle that kind of weight?

Does anyone have any advice on "what not to do"? Or any advice at all for that matter?

Thanks!

FarCry 03-24-2008 05:08 PM

Don't drop it on your toes!!!! Find some strong limber friends to do the heavy lifting.

Freesail99 03-24-2008 05:48 PM

I have seen it done where they made a rail out of 2 long 4 x 4's. Both ends had legs putting the 4 x 4 near the top of the companion way. The end of the rails had 2 x 4 's screwed into them so it made a track. The rail/track led outside to the cockpit. They used a 2 x 4 with a chain bolted to it and slid the 2 x 4 on the top of that rail with the engine attached to it.

It really depends on the boat and the room you have.

djodenda 03-24-2008 05:52 PM

It would help if you could describe the boat and engine. We could give you more specific information...

dhornsey 03-24-2008 05:57 PM

The boat is a Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31. The engine is a Sabb 18hp. The engine only has to come forward a little to be in the correct position to be hoisted straight up through the companionway.

djodenda 03-24-2008 06:50 PM

Nice boat!

As a data point, I pulled out the Petter 7HP diesel out of my Catalina 27 using the boom and a block and tackle I rigged from the boom vang and something else that I had lying around.

I'm guessing the engine weighed about 250 lbs (huge flywheel!)

I transferred it to a skid in the cockpit, shifted the block and tackle aft, and swung the engine onto a furniture dolly, which I rolled up the dock.

It came out pretty easily. Of course, you don't want to drop it, as it could seriously hurt you and your boat.

I replaced the engine with a Universal M2-12 (175lbs) without much difficulty.

You could reduce the weight significantly by pulling the transmission and accessories before you lift it.

I would certainly, carefully do this again if I needed to.

I would expect that others will chime in shortly with other, possibly better advice.

timebandit 03-24-2008 07:23 PM

I would remove everything removable. Transmission, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifolds and be sure to drain as much oil as you can. Dont forget the cylinder head.
Go to a carpet store and get some removed carpet from the trash can and pad every thing.
The hardest part will be getting it on the dock and of course-----
installing the new one!!!

sailingdog 03-24-2008 08:24 PM

I would second removing any thing you can from the engine... it will make it lighter and smaller in size, and that will make removing it easier and safer.

Faster 03-24-2008 10:39 PM

If you are going to lift it out with the boom, you may want to attach a spare halyard around the boom at the lift point - this can avoid putting a lot of bending moment in the boom when the engine is hanging, and you can use it to get more height if you need it.

Definitely strip the engine, not just for weight but for clearance - a swinging engine can do a lot of damage to your undoubtedly beautifully finished companionway!

erps 03-24-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

I'm expecting once we remove the peripherals the amount of weight we'll need to lift will be somewhere around 350 pounds. We have 3 halyards available on our 31 foot cutter, presumably I could rig 2 as backups. Can a typical halyard handle that kind of weight?
Before actually lifting the engine to see if your rig can handle it, you could have a fat guy lay across your boom for a dry run. They're not as hard on the gel coat if they get dropped.