Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008

NALANI13 is on a distinguished road
artbyjody - even with this thing i will still smell trouble......i just can't stand the normal boat smells or the cleaners.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALANI13 View Post
artbyjody - even with this thing i will still smell trouble......i just can't stand the normal boat smells or the cleaners.
Nalani, if you can't stand normal boat smells why are you even interested in boats??

I'd rather take a deep breath down below and inhale the woody (pun intended) aromas of teak and varnish and rotting sea-creatures(!) than try to breathe in any modern city anywhere in the world.
Old 04-14-2008
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
Have you tried using a air ionizer / ozone generator (there are about a dozen names for it)?

I had that smell in my boat, and using the generator a few hours a week got rid of it.

The model I use is the Air Zone XT-800 (google it or go to airzone.com, I think); you can save a lot of money if you feel like building your own.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-15-2008

upanchor is on a distinguished road
We likewise installed two of the vents, intake over v-berth, exhaust over galley. It was a condition imposed by my wife on the purchase of our new boat 6 years ago. After the first season, I pulled the batteries and have since run them only on solar. While the boat has obviously lost her "new" smell, it hasn't been replaced by anything the slightest bit objectionable. Only regret is buying the white plastic ones rather than spending the difference for the stainless steel. After 6 seasons, the plastic has gone yellow and is beginning to crack. Soon as a motor dies I'll be more than ready to replace, despite the cost.

On the other hand, once you have odor problems it's not always that easy to get rid of all traces and often you end up trying to replace the offensive smell with something less so. Still, constant air movement can't hurt!
Old 04-19-2008
Future liveaboard

SailMonkey is on a distinguished road
boat odor/moisture

I just read on another forum that DampRid is the same thing as the pool chemical used to increase water hardness, calcium chloride. Any thoughts on putting some of these chips into glass jars for absorbing moisture and odor in a boat environment?
Old 11-06-2008

SCSeaside is on a distinguished road
Talking Bildge Buster and cabin air ozone generator

I have read many of the threads in this post that claim your boat may sink using an ozone generator. I have been using an ozone generator in my engine room, operates all the time even at the dock, and one in my main salon that only operates when it detects orders for nine years. The engine room ozone generator keeps bildge and holding tank odors away and the salon generator keeps things smelling fresh as a spring rain even right after cooking fish or heavy garlic dishes. The Bildge Buster is USCG approved for operating in areas where flash points are a problem and my hoses, plastic clamps, wire coverings, etc. are all in good shape. I have read that ozone can damage these items but, I haven't seen it and since mine runs 24/7/365 I can't imagine the levels it would take to damage something. All hoses are flexible with no cracks. My advice is to contact the manufacturer via email and ask them about it. Sign me off as "SCSeaside still floating".
Old 09-07-2011

TSL is on a distinguished road
Odor watch 24/7

Ozone generators work and work well. They attack the odors and other (rubber) components in your boat. Chlorine Dioxide also eliminates odors but does not harm rubber. It can be activated and left in the boat around the clock.
To eliminate boat smell, spend about $20 and see how it works. Odor Watch 24/7 is one such product. You can use it when the boat is stored without having to run power to the boat.

Chlorine Dioxide attacks mold as well as oxidizing odor. Odor watch 24/7 is low level Chlorine Dioxide so you can be in the boat when it is activated.
Old 09-07-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Tonight's boat smell- In the **** pit having cocktails, smell of something burning, um nothing cooking, smells like plastic, smoke in the cabin, holy sh*t, WTF? AC shuts down, look round, switch off all the power, feel the plugs, a 15 AMP 220V plug has burned to a crisp...luckily the fuse inside eventually blew, other wise we'd be toast..a good nose for smells is a good thing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 10-05-2011
Sailing to surf

Beersmith is on a distinguished road
I'm convinced mine was the rotten wood providing the boat smell.

To date, I've removed nearly every piece of wood (rotten or not) and the boat smell is gone. I have all of the old wood in a storage unit, and it now smells like a boat.

the boat now smells like epoxy and paint
Old 10-05-2011

TSL is on a distinguished road
Beer smith is right on. However, you can treat the wood before it goes too far. Check out the CNN video showing mold treatment after the New Orleans floods. Boater Tech - Boat Smell Removal | Completely Eliminate Odors on Your Boat - Boater Tech
Click on CCN reports.