Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat smell

A small solar panel and a computer fan, hooked to the main battery, gives you the same thing as solar vents, at a much lower price
Old 06-10-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Sun light works well. Empty the boat completely ( and I mean completely). Turn things over so all sides get sunlight and ventilation for a few hours Wash every surface you can touch with fresh water and vinegar of your boat and hard surface articles. Put it all together and drop some bilge cleaner and fresh water ( or just fresh and simple green or like agent) in bilge with your pumps turned off. Go sailing to weather and bash and splash it around. Drain and no smell at all unless you went Mexican for dinner last night.
Under looked issue on many boats is adequate ventilation. Spec'd louvers in all lockers and contained spaces. Have four dorades so air is moving even when "locked up".
Also double plumped the heads of new boat for fresh and salt and went with the fancy no smell hoses. If salt used on passage then pump out then fill with fresh and pump out again. Different kind of bugs live in salt and they are smellier. Also better for the plumbing to use fresh.

Last edited by outbound; 06-10-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
A small solar panel and a computer fan, hooked to the main battery, gives you the same thing as solar vents, at a much lower price
Unfortunately that means running power to the vent. The self-powered nature of the Nicro Vents is a nice thing. At least in my case I'd have no way to hide the wire as it ran across the headliner to a vent.

But yeah, otherwise that's a really nice way to go. Just size the fan to use much less than your predicted solar power.

This year I removed absolutely everything from the boat over winter including all cushions, life vests bags etc. Basically anything soft that might absorb smell to get it out of the boat and let it air out for the whole off season.

Oh and I replaced the head and all plumbing and fixed 8 deck leaks....I'm definitely hoping for a fresher smelling boat this year.
Old 06-12-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

One of the things I've noticed is the smell that comes from the sink and lavatory drains - almost the same as an overripe holding tank but not as powerful......I close the seacocks when I leave the boat, and apparently there is enough living material in the water left in the drain line above the seacock that it generates some aroma as it dies / decays. I've been making it a habit to put a few drops of Odorlos in the drains after I close the seacocks and and it takes away that smell.

I still have the issue of constantly having 1-2" of water standing in the bilge and the funky smell that goes with that, though.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 06-12-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Andy,
Can you fix whatever is causing the water to pool in the bilge? Have you tried leaving the floorboards open when you leave? Also, have you tried pouring diluted vinegar into the sink?

I've installed solar fans in two different boats, and have been VERY happy with the results on both. I used the Nicoro on my C25, and I've put 2 Sunforce fans in the Allmand. The Sunforce is about half the cost of the Nicoro. I called a very large, well-known marine supplier who happens to sell both brands and asked about thei return/complaint rate for both, and they said that they don't get a lot of complaints or returns for either one. Other than the thrill of cutting a 4.5" hole or two in your deck, the install is pretty straightforward and easy. The increased airflow really helps dry things out quite a bit.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Jimgo - good idea about leaving the floor hatvch open when I'm not on the boat - I'll try that. There's never a lot of water, and I try to make it a habit to dry out the bilge when I leave the boat on Sunday afternoon. The water in my bilge comes from condensation on the refrigerator box, the drips from the stuffing box, and a few odds and ends leaks that I'm chasing (I think I am gaining ground on those and just have a few pieces of hardware left to re-bed).
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 06-14-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
What brand and model? Sounds interesting.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Sure you can get it elsewhere but we got it here
Old 06-14-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Canberra Gel. We placed 2 containers in the boat over the winter and the smell is gone. We'll keep a continual supply open and airing. Even the Boss notice the lack of smell and thinks that it's amazing. And she's isn't impressed with anything! The gel attacks spores and is not a cover up. Amazing stuff. We're sold.