Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-28-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I tend to think - the more everything works together the better the system is. But comparing issues with some brands and lack of follow on support is the most crucial... who wants to be stuck in the S Pacific suddenly to hear "Nope we no longer support your gear:

The protocol is easier to understand than ASCII - but most brands somehow try to make the cabling to be a if you want it you need "x - engineer" to interface it..

This is the issue I see with Raymarine... the shelve more actual working products to force brand loyalty to go with the next big thing...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2009

tackdriver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
since I am looking into 38 footers (and placed an offer on one), I am considering going all Raymarine since all the hardware I purchased for the C-27 will be going onboard. .... I am wondering if anyone has installed and used the X-5 Wheel Autopilot as of yet?
This is an old post, but I can't find many people (suckers) like me who installed the crap that is the x-5.

I need to expand a little on that. The software is great. Everything they say about the system not needing a rudder sensor is true. The board has an accelerometer chip on it which it uses to sense the reaction to the application of steering. It really works well. The good news ends there.

The wheel steering unit is rubbish. The motor housings break more often than not, and the gearbox will not handle your 38 footer, as it doesn't handle mine. I've been through two of them so far. This unit would be OK for a power boat or a small yacht, but the weather helm and swell-steering that you get on a bigger boat breaks the steering system.

Don't bother with the angst of a broken autopilot. Don't bother with the x-5.
cheers
JMB
Old 11-14-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
I think wheel pilots had very limited use, on sheltered waters or easy winds, for instance. Global changes on weather patterns, waves, winds and currents, etc ... put even the old belief on hydraulic drives robustness on check, with a growing demand for repair. Wheel drives have an even narrower use nowadays, so consider a below deck drive instead a X-5 wheel ....
Old 11-14-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
for all those suckers who bought an s1 or an x5 i would be willing to dispose of it for you. i would even pay shipping to me.

if any one has one they removed in working condition or even with just a broken wheel drive let me know. i dont have an auto pilot and even the admiral pilot does not work too well. single handing is fine but no auto pilot or even a wheel lock its gets harder.
Old 08-02-2011

Will2905 is on a distinguished road
Never buy Raymarine products - go for one of the other brands. I've had so much trouble trying to get my systems fixed it's taken over a year now, and still counting. Their customer service team never does anything on time, they promise to send engineers, and they never come, and there's no logical reason why it would take so long to get things fixed.

Really disappointing - must be down to their going into administration and never quite recovering - honestly urge you to stay well clear.