Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-27-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Spot

Anybody have any feedback on the SPOT location/tracking device?

Spot Messenger > Home

Looks like you can get them for about $150 which is a lot cheaper than most EPIRB devices. Why would they be priced so much lower than an EPIRB?

I know that on top of the original purchase price that you have to pay a yearly subscribtion and that price differs on the types of services you require.

I guess if you figure they original price plus the yearly subsciption price, that eventually the price would surpass the price of an EPIRB, but they seem to have more features. I understand they can even be used with Google Earth for family members to track your every move.

Any comments would be appreciated.
I am thinking of going this route.
Please if this subject has already been discussed, point me to the thread,
I searched and could not find any.
ThankX,

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2008
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
OH, I thought this was another "Sailing With Dogs" thread ...................

They look interesting; but there is no way they would replace the need for an EPIRB. I don't think they automatically call for help across the board they only contact certain things, right?

Not like an EPIRB which is more like a distress/tracking beacon.

I know, don't flame me guys, my analogies are WAY weak this morning, but I think my premise is valid.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok

Last edited by AjariBonten; 03-27-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-27-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
OH, I thought this was another "Sailing With Dogs" thread ...................
I was thinking the same thing. But to answer the question, I don't think you should try and replace Eprib with the spot messenger. But the spot messenger would be a great way to keep in contact with friends and family at home.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Freesail99; 03-27-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2008

rennisaint is on a distinguished road
Seems like a neat technology, but check out the coverage map; if you are planning on doing any bluewater cruising you would be up the creek. I'd say it'd be great to use as a way to keep people in contact with you, but definitely not a very valid replacement for an EPIRB. I would consider taking this on hiking and mountaineering trips though, since right now I don't carry any emergency signaling, it'd definitely be a step up.
Old 03-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The coverage map has lots of dead spots, and while it is a useful device for keeping friends and family informed of where you are and that you're okay, IMHO, it isn't anywhere close to being a replacement for an EPIRB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-27-2008

I see that they have a 9-1-1 feature that alerts emergecy agencies with your exact location. This includes the coast guard.
I will check the coverage area, I should have stated, I am only inquiring about the great lakes region.
From their Web page.......

ALERT 9-1-1: Use this function In the event of a life threatening or other critical emergency to notify emergency services of your exact location and that you need assistance. The GEOS International Emergency Response Center alerts the appropriate agencies worldwide – for example contacting 9-1-1 responders in North America and 1-1-2 responders in Europe.
How It Works:

Once activated, SPOT will acquire its exact coordinates from the GPS network, and send that location along with a distress message to a GEOS International Emergency Response Center every five minutes until cancelled. The Emergency Response Center notifies the appropriate emergency responders based on your location and personal information – which may include local police, highway patrol, the Coast Guard, our country’s embassy or consulate, or other emergency response or search and rescue teams – as well as notifying your emergency contact person(s) about the receipt of a distress signal.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-27-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
For the 911 feature, it may be better then nothing at all.
Old 03-27-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I posted a thread on the Spot some time ago and got a lot of good input. You might try searching for that thread. Not designed to replace an EPIRB, just keep friends informed of your progress.
Old 03-27-2008

I tried a seach and came up with a bunch of unrelated crap.
Te, do you remeber about when?

Old 03-27-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Sail,
Within the past 2 months. If you click on my name and go to view all posts you should find it. If not let me know and I'll try.