SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   New Portable Generator (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/41723-new-portable-generator.html)

bushrat 03-27-2008 11:38 AM

New Portable Generator

Picked up a 1800 watt inverter McCullugh generater at Costco for $459 seemed like a pretty good deal. Runs fairly quietly. Puts out about 13.5 amps and has 12v too. I wanted something for back up around the house and for camping and hunting so that ruled out a 1000 watt compact unit. At 50lbs this unit is still handy to haul around. Any Ideas on using it and setting it up out on the boat. I don't have shore power yet and use mostly 12v but I wanted something to use as a back up for charging or for tools and maybe occasionally put a small heater on. Don't worry, I don't plan on fireing it up when I have neighbours in a quiet anchorage no matter how quiet the generator runs. I've used generators before but never on a boat. Are they a PITA for a boat.

kd3pc 03-27-2008 09:12 PM

gas generators on a boat can cause issues....biggest is the carbon monoxide threat.

Check in to detectors and never go to sleep with it running on or in your boat.

Storage of fuel can be a risk as well....

Be careful

dave

Freesail99 03-27-2008 09:14 PM

Good luck with it, be safe.

sailingdog 03-27-2008 09:32 PM

Bushrat-

There have been several threads about using small gas generators on a sailboat at anchor. If you do a search for "Honda 2000", you'll find them.

bushrat 03-28-2008 04:28 PM

Yes a co monitor is a good idea. When I use a generator camping I'll run an extension cord as far in the bush as I can to reduce noise. For the boat I'm thinking about making some kind of noise break of some sort. Would this be effective out on water or a waste of time? I want to block noise from the cabin not the anchorage area since I would't use it if I had neighbours. Anyone play around with their set up?

chucklesR 03-28-2008 04:36 PM

Lot of folks with Gemini's set their honda gen's on the back step and cover it with a Tupperware garbage can. They have one side cut out for air that faces aft so the noise goes that way. Using pink foam slabs (from home depot) as a underlayer keeps it from vibrating the deck which is a major component of the noise. Stores in the garbage can in a aft lazerette when not in use. Your boat will of course be configured differently.
Another good method is to hoist it with the main halyard so it's 10 feet off deck, then pull it forward so it's suspended over the foredeck - watching that it's not upside down of course by using a outboard sling attached to the halyard.

I've not tried either of these, just passing on stories and descriptions of photo's.

bushrat 03-28-2008 04:58 PM

Chuckle's, I never thought of the garbage can trick. That would be an easy jury rig. Chuckles, I was just saying on another thread that my boat was at Fairwinds when I bought it!

Valiente 03-29-2008 05:57 PM

Well, my Honda 2000 arrived today. I think I'll give it a test run during Earth Hour just to piss off the hippies.

PBzeer 03-29-2008 06:16 PM

I run my Honda 2000 in the cockpit and so far, have not experienced any problems with fume leakage into the cabin. Being on the cockpit floor, also dampens the noise outside of the boat.

bushrat 03-30-2008 10:49 AM

Valiente, that's hilarious, the thought crossed my mine as well. I'm itching for an excuse to play with my new toy. I used to have a 5000 colemane I used for building projects and power backup, that used to really piss folks off.

PB does the noise bother you in the cabin? I think my unit will be slightly noiser since it's a chinese knock off. A friend has a honda 1000 and my mccolouch 1800 is a lot noisier. That little 1000 is a slick unit. I haven't seen a 2000 running.