Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-28-2008
Sailnet - Sales

sailnetmallory is on a distinguished road
Ventilation Options

New and old vessels alike never seem to have sufficient ventilation, especially if you live in the southeast US or cruise in the Caribbean where the humidity is off the charts. Having done both, I can attest to the fact that more than cowl vents are needed to keep the sweat out of the bilge and the mold off, well –everything. The addition of a solar powered fan definitely helps but that option doesn’t work for everyone.
I'd be interested in learning how you have tackled this issue on your boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2008
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Breezeboosters on deck (I use a forward facing one forward and an aft facing one all the way aft) and lots of fans below.

I open up everything that will open as much as I can which of course means hatch drills when a shower sweeps through.

Awnings help keep the heat down, protect most open hatches from most rain squalls, and don't seem to reduce air flow.

If all else fails I start the gen and run a/c.
Old 03-28-2008

WuWei is on a distinguished road
We use a solar vent fan, a louvered vent in the companionway door, a couple 110/12V fans, and a demidifier. The boat is always dry, not stinky, and when I wipe down the walls, they are clean. We also have an A/C, but did not use it last year.

When we bought Wu-Wei, she was a mold-pit. Carpet on the walls did not help, either. We replaced that with vinyl, fixed leaks, and did a major refit. I vowed never to see mold again. And we haven't. But, in addition to all the things we use for good ventilation, we also wipe everything down and spray Febreeze antimicrobial every time we use the boat.
Old 04-01-2008

spoonbow is on a distinguished road
I live aboard a 35' sailboat in Key West, FL - Mildew Capital of the Cosmos. I am at a dock, so can run fans all the time and a small AC unit when it gets truly brutal. It's not enough to keep the boat cool, but it does knock the humidity down a notch. I have several small hanging lockers/closets on my boat but even with the fans and AC I was never able to keep clothing in them because of moisture and mildew problems. I was in Radio Shack a while back and spotted some computer cooling fans for $6.99. The fan is 12 VDC, draws a measly 0.1 amps, moves approx 30CFM, and is almost completely silent - You can't hear it at all unless you put your ear right next to it. Made a small cutout to fit a fan in each locker, added a grill (more to protect the fan blades than my fingers) and have been mildew free ever since, even with the clothes packed in fairly tight.
Old 04-01-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Wind scoop on the fwd hatch, hatches in the overhead of every cabin and FANS everywhere! Insulation and white decks and/or a 'tent' over the deck can also help a lot. Good ventilation is mostly in the hands of the designer/builder. Fans and wind scoops are about all an owner can do.
Old 04-01-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I'd be interested in learning how you have tackled this issue on your boat.
We decided to limit our cruising to the Great Lakes
Old 04-01-2008

SantaSailor is on a distinguished road
I installed a solar fan in the head and in in the main cabin. I also installed 12v fans in the V-berth, quarter berth and sette area. I also use a wind scoop on the front hatch when on the hook. When at the dock I run the A/C's fan and keep Damp-Rid packets hanging in the cabin. This seems to work in N/E Florida.
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Old 04-02-2008
Ventilation Guy

harryhoratio is on a distinguished road
After 15 years manufacturing plastic covers for the automotive after market I am working on some portlight covers that will allow the air in while keeping the rain out. My idea is to make a cover that will attach outside the frame of the portlight and be designed not to catch a line or sheet. After a cruise to Mexico I thought it would be nice to be able to leave the portlights open without worrying about rain.

Let me know what you all think.

I will post an update when there is something for you to see.
Old 04-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, a good general rule of thumb is that you should have 1 sq. inch of ventilation for every square foot of beam x LWL your boat has. If your boat has an 8' beam and a 25' LWL, then you'd want 200 sq. inches of ventilation. IIRC, this rule is for passive ventilation and doesn't apply to powered vents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-02-2008

petegingras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I was in Radio Shack a while back and spotted some computer cooling fans for $6.99. The fan is 12 VDC, draws a measly 0.1 amps, moves approx 30CFM, and is almost completely silent
spoonbow,

you get the atta boy award. That is an excellent idea, bet West Marine will be pricing those at $36.00 soon enough.