Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-03-2008
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
You spoil all our fun Boasun . . .

If we wanted it to be easy, we'd just fill a 20 gallon plastic barrel with water.
Old 04-03-2008

kiprichard is on a distinguished road
I'm not WM's biggest fan but I have a pair of their Tahiti's. They were on sale @ $229 and at that price I think they're the best bang for your buck. Optics are good and the compass is handy. They're waterproof and they claim they float ( haven't tested that).
Old 04-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have a set of the WM binocs for the deck grunts to use. Believe they only float if they have the stock flotation strap on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiprichard View Post
I'm not WM's biggest fan but I have a pair of their Tahiti's. They were on sale @ $229 and at that price I think they're the best bang for your buck. Optics are good and the compass is handy. They're waterproof and they claim they float ( haven't tested that).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2009

matt2 is on a distinguished road
Looking for Binoculars with IS & Compass

Sorry if I should not have revived this old thread but I have searched the threads on binocs and then the internet and could not find what I want.

Are there any manufacturers of binocs with
(i) Image Stabilization, and
(ii) a built in compass, and
(iii) waterproof, and
(iv) around 7x50 (or more powerful), and
(v) a simple rangefinder (not laser).

Seems amazing since IS & compass would be an obvious match on a boat.

My old binocs (no frills but ok) are a bit beat up now.
Old 03-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem with getting IS binoculars is that if the batteries go out, they're pretty useless on a moving boat. Most IS binoculars suffer in low light, since they're higher magnification without an increase in the objective diameter....like 10x50 vs. 7x50... which means they have about half the light coming out the eyepiece.

7x50s are about the best compromise between low-light capability, magnification and size.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-16-2009

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Matt2:

No personal experience, but was intrigued by the Leupold RXB-IV Range Finding Binocs with Compass which seem to meet 3.5 outta your 5 requirements. I've read some cruisers who have found rangefinders to be very handy in anchoring situations where they need to bring a line ashore.

Meanwhile, I have the WM Tahiti's and have been fairly pleased with them, that is, until I tried the Captain's Fujinon Polaris 7x50's on a recent sail. Wow.

I tried hyperlinking to the Leupold site page but had some problems, so just search for

"Leupold RXB-IV"
V42#186
s/v Little Wing

Last edited by arisatx; 03-16-2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: fixed broken hyperlink
Old 03-16-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The problem with getting IS binoculars is that if the batteries go out, they're pretty useless on a moving boat. Most IS binoculars suffer in low light, since they're higher magnification without an increase in the objective diameter....like 10x50 vs. 7x50... which means they have about half the light coming out the eyepiece.

7x50s are about the best compromise between low-light capability, magnification and size.
S.D. is right about stabilized binoculars eating up batteries. For a small price, you can buy two sets of NiMH rechargable batteries and a small charger to keep on the boat so you always have a fresh set of batteries. I loved my 7x50 Fujinon binoculars until I got my 10x42 stabilized binoculars. The stabilized binoculars are my primary binoculars now.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 03-16-2009

davmarwood is on a distinguished road
Marine Binoculars

I have had good luck for the '08 season with Celestron Oceana 7x50 WP-IF/RC Binoculars. Price is reasonable, sharp optice, excellent light gathering, wide field of view (important for glasses wearers - or with sunglasses on) and no fogging. Copy this link in your browser.

Oceana 7x50 WP-IF/RC Binocular (item #71189) / Celestron.com - Telescope | Computerized Telescopes | Microscopes | Binoculars | SkyScout
Old 03-17-2009
Telstar 28

The IS binoculars have about a 4 mm exit pupil, which is considerably smaller than the 7 mm exit pupil on the 7x50s and will limit your low-light capability significantly. At night, it will be much harder to see clearly through the IS binoculars, regardless of the IS features or greater magnification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
S.D. is right about stabilized binoculars eating up batteries. For a small price, you can buy two sets of NiMH rechargable batteries and a small charger to keep on the boat so you always have a fresh set of batteries. I loved my 7x50 Fujinon binoculars until I got my 10x42 stabilized binoculars. The stabilized binoculars are my primary binoculars now.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-17-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Ok... honest question:

For those that have switched over to the stabilized, did you like them that much better? Honestly?

I have used them once, but have no real experience with them. I have found that I can make a good set of binocs work really well (the better the eye relief, the better the binoc to me). The trick is to stabilize yourself and hold the binoc slightly away from your eye in a sea. Let your hands float up and down with the object. Keeps you from losing your balance and helps to aquire a target better as you simply watch the target then pull the binocs up to your eye (but not touching... very important). I was taught that a binoc should never touch your face. That is where the large eye relief really helps.

I have also found the Fuji's to have the best relief, though I almost went for a set of Steiners (which kinda seemed to me more marketing than actually better). My parents agreed, incidentally. I have both the "cheaper pair" and the high-end military spec (thanks mom and dad for a great Christmas Present). For a "cheap" binoc (around $200 IIRC) the Fuji's are great. However, once you go to the high end Fuji's or Steiners, it is hard to go back. I will admit that the high-end Steiners I looked at (around $1000???) are as good as the high end Fuji's (around $700-800 iirc). The high end specs are also awesome for laying on the deck at night and star/moon gazing.

Anyways, there is all my thoughts and experience.

- Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: