SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Binocular Suggestions (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/41797-binocular-suggestions.html)

Vitesse473 03-30-2008 11:14 AM

Binocular Suggestions

Does anyone have any recommendations for binocular brands and types? What is the ideal magnification for scoping vessels and other objects while at sea?

lharmon 03-30-2008 12:03 PM

I use a pair of Steiner 7 x 50 Observers with a compass. They were not too expensive and perform great. There are better ones on the market for more $$$. But I get great low light capability for a good price. I think I paid about $300. Having the compass built in makes bearings easy for my tired eyes. If money was no object I'd love a pair of Fugicon image stabalized binoculars about 14X power to see a little further. But I know I'd drop them! Or my kids would.

Good luck in your search.

LH

Giulietta 03-30-2008 12:30 PM

I have these and like them a lot

See here

scroll down to waterproof binoculars 7X 50, mine are reference 53260

Tspringer 03-30-2008 12:40 PM

Anyone have experience with the image stabilized Fujinons? I am considering a purchase.

Terry

cockeyedbob 03-30-2008 12:48 PM

Fuji... nice!

Plumper 03-30-2008 12:51 PM

I have a pair of these :
West Marine: Huahine 7 x 50 Center-Focus Binoculars Product Display

and I have found them to be very tough and inexpensive. I have owned them for about 6 years and I have not been kind to them.

teshannon 03-30-2008 12:56 PM

I have a Nikon 7 x 50 with built in compass and I like them a lot.

RichardElliott 03-30-2008 02:51 PM

Binoculars

I have the Nikon StabilEyes (identical to Fuginon) 14x and they are very effective but quite heavy. There are usually good buys on E-Bay.

flatfoot 03-30-2008 05:11 PM

Stiener Commander V w/ compass, great optics, big and clumsy. If you are dead set on binocs, they have done well for me and I like em; however I have always wanted to use a KVH DataScope. I believe they are 7x30 with electronic compass. If anyone has any experience with these, perhapse they could offer this as an option. I have used the image stabilized units and find they are not worth the money, the stiener sport focus and bright optics were the most important to me (mostly used to identify bouy id's and glassing the horizon for other vessels). I also have an old Nikon Action 8x30 which gets a lot of use due to its feel in my wifes hands and weight around her neck. Hope this helps.

camaraderie 03-30-2008 06:21 PM

For use cruising, it pays to get a good pair of 7x50 binocs...Fujinon, Steiner, Nikon all make excellent products.
I would avoid image stabilized at sea given the need for electricity and added complication...but they work great.
The cheap stuff may suffice for casual sailing but eventually they fog and they don't provide the resolution and low light performance of the good stuff which can provide good service for decades.