Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-30-2008

johndotson is on a distinguished road
Repainting Interior

I have a 1961 Pearson Electra. I would like to re-paint the interior because the interior paint is chipping and pealing off. How should I go about removing the remainder of the existing paint and putting on new? What types of stripper should I use if any, abrasives, etc. Also what type of paint would you recommend for re painting the interior? I can email you if you need some pictures. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2008

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
First and most important step, establish what type of paint was used previously. It will determine what your next steps will be. Take off a few chips large enough to test, or take to a paint professional to test for you. Chances are that if the paint is peeling off you will have to remove all of it to achieve a respectable job. (My guess is that it will be latex paint) like house paint. soak a rag with paint thinner place chip in rag, cover for a few hours. If its softened, then you know where to start. If this is the case you could get away with a low temp heat gun and a scraper and wire brush. (don't cook the surface, or burn your boat to the water) Should it be a different type of paint, your course of action will be different.
Old 03-31-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
Just sand it down and paint it. How hard is it.
Old 03-31-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Cap is most likely right...

Use a 300-400 grit sandpaper - and buff the interior to be reasonably smooth. Then put primer on (Cheap route - go for the Killz that is used in interior of homes or go for marine primer)...I have found good luck using Rustoleum brand (outdoors labeled) for interiors of a boat with the Killz primer applied...Alot of the Rustoleum paints match the 1 part Interlux colors.... and in the end saves a bunch of money...

However - if you use marine primer - use a Interlux or other marine epoxy paint with it and vice for Killz (stick with Rustoleum as Epoxy / marine paint doesn't stick well to Killz)...

Do be careful with paint removers as they generate heat and can weekend the gelcoat / epoxy of your interior...(I simply sanded mine)...

Good luck!

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-31-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Nobody asked what the surfaces are that you're painting. Wood? Gelcoat? Fiberglass? I've seen boats with painted vinyl, painted plastic laminate. If it's got a surface someone will paint it. What are you working with here?

I work in a boat yard and do mostly varnishing. I do some painting when it's slow - but there are guys here that do painting - interior and exterior - all of the time. Let's look at what you've got and go from there. I can tell you that your prep work is 90% of any refinish job if it's going to be done right. And I've long maintained, if you don't have time to do it right, when are you going to find time to do it over?

I'll check this thread again tonight and see how things are progressing. Off to work now.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 03-31-2008
SailAway

maccauley123 is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with Sander. Choose a good quality exterior latex house paint, prep the surface like you would anything else by removing anything that is not sticking well, lightly sand and paint it. I don't think you want to use an oil based since putting that over latex is a bad idea if that is what is on there now. Latex is fine going over either latex or oil. Since the interior paid is not subjected to direct weather a good quality house paint, which is subjected to weather, will work just fine.

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
1971 Ericson 29
Old 04-01-2008

SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry:
It is just fiber glass no gel...

Thank you all for this great information. I have been pulling off the chips that will come off and will proceed with just sanding most likely with a mild stripper.
Old 04-01-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
we just did ours, 300 grit on the rough areas, acetone the surface before painting and roll it on. came out smoother than a baby's booty. i was very impressed with the results.

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 04-01-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I have a 1961 Pearson Electra. I would like to re-paint the interior because the interior paint is chipping and pealing off. How should I go about removing the remainder of the existing paint and putting on new? What types of stripper should I use if any, abrasives, etc. Also what type of paint would you recommend for re painting the interior? I can email you if you need some pictures. Thanks!
If you decide to use a stripper, buy one that is formulated for use on fibreglass. You can find them at your local marine supply store, or purchase some from the Sailnet store here. They work more slowly than the standard ones, but they don't dissolve your boat (and yes - that is something that you have to worry about if you use garden variety Polystrippa).
Old 04-01-2008

I am using "Soy Strip Marine Coating Remover" from Franmar. It seems to be doing the trick with not ill side effects.