Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-31-2008

bostonpilot is on a distinguished road
Lazy Jack thoughts

Hi All,

I've been lurking for a while and put a lot of the discussions to good use, but now I havea question I'd like to throw into the ring.

Due to us recently having a baby, my primary spring project on the boat (1967 25' Paceship Eastwind) is to make her more friendly to single handing as I think much of my sailing this summer will be solo. One of the prime tasks at hand is to install lazy jacks.

I am pretty happy with the system that I've designed, but one question that remains open is the material choice for the top section that is attached to the mast. Most of the commercially available systems (read: overpriced) use a cable from the mast attach point leading down to a block for the lines to run through.

I can certainly use cable as well, but I am wondering about using a length of 1/4" line instead. I was thinking 1/4" double braid, with an eye splice on either end. What is the general feelings on using line vs cable for this section?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
The lazy jacks that came on my 1986 O'day 35 used line for the run from the mast to down. Shock cord is used from the boom to the line. The line seems to work fine.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I think you'll be fine... Ours is top half line, the rest shock cord and works OK.

But on another item, no reason to let a baby stop you all from sailing. Our new grandaughter was out with her parents at 7 days old.. in November! Now at 4 months she already has several days on the water under her diaper. You may well have to do more yourself, as Mom looks after the young'un. On a 25 footer that shouldn't be a real problem.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-31-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
The only issue I have with cable - is that it needs to be routinely checked for strands splitting as they (cable) will in a heartbeat rip / chafe a sail to shreds in no time... Lines will still chafe the sail over time but nearly as quick...Mine on the Cat-27 were just lines...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 03-31-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
The only issue I have with cable - is that it needs to be routinely checked for strands splitting as they (cable) will in a heartbeat rip / chafe a sail to shreds in no time... Lines will still chafe the sail over time but nearly as quick...Mine on the Cat-27 were just lines...
Jody - I think most cable based lazyjack systems come with vinyl covered wire for that reason .

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-31-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
I used to run a 28 O'Day with 3/16 line lazy jacks -- the cheap kind of line from the hardware store! Worked fine. Face it, you normally run sails up or down running into the wind. Not much stress on the sail that way! IMHO steel cable is overkill!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
Old 04-04-2008

sonofasonofasailer456 is on a distinguished road
Wink lazy jacks

I made my own lazyjacks on my bristol 27 last year I used 1/4" for everything,did my own eyesplicing, for the first time spicing came out great important thing is they work great, my hand still hurt from working the splices but worth it, 1/4" sucks. lot cheaper than the kits if you have the time to do the splices. by the line on the the bay and it will be even cheaper then mine.
Old 04-04-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
My boat, I use 1/4 inch lines for my lazy jacks and they feed into a stack pack sail cover. I have 2 reef points with single line reefing brought back to the cockpit though rope clutches. With roller fullering on the head sail I can up zip the main sail cover before i leave the dock and never have to go forward to tend the sails. This set for me makes single handling easy as 80% of my sailing is alone.
Old 04-04-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
To continue I used small eye straps on the mast to tie the lines into. I just used bowlines and no blocks for the whole lazy jack system. Been working fine for 9 years.
Old 04-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm with bubb2. I use padeyes on the boom and stainless steel rings for the connections, with bowlines throughout.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.