TB, Yaaa..... so.... did you save it for me in case I change my mind
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
TDW,

What hasn't been mentioned is that a cutter can be tacked upwind with a short crew and without benefit of any sort of self-tending staysail.

To do this, merely sheet the staysail midships, using both sheets. This effectively takes it out of the equation and allows you to operate the vessel as a sloop.

You only need worry about the self-tending qualities when short-tacking anyway. When on longer tacks, sheet the staysail normally, just as you would any headsail.l
I agree with Bill's assessment. I have my staysail stay (fixed) going into the anchor well and my forestay with yankee jib going about four feet ahead of that on the bowsprit. I have very little problem getting the furling jib through this slot, and yet I happily carry the boomless staysail (which has sheet cars and tracks on the coach house top either side of the mast, with the sheets running aft to dedicated winches) at the ready for two situations: 1) when I want to create a slot of sorts at certain reaching angles (a full genoa is better for this, but I don't carry one at this point), and 2) when the wind pipes up and I want to roll up the jib entirely, but keep the main up. The staysail means I don't point well, but it does keep the boat going.

I've been out in 25-35 knots with unreefed staysail only and made 6 knots working to weather in eight foot seas...yet it was a dry (if pitching) ride.

I like the staysail and I like the options cutter-rig gives me. I think you should experiment (perhaps with friends and before the breakables come aboard) in different wind strengths to see exactly what the staysail does for stability and sail power before deciding one way or another what to do with that boom. My experience is that not a lot of sloop owners quite know what to do with it, and yet it's quickly becoming a favourite sail of mine to hoist in both light and heavy airs.
Old 04-04-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Yes Stan, the self-tending track on Bremer Speck, the left boat, is what I was referring to.

Here's another view . . . smaller size photo-hard left
Had this type of jib track on my Soling. Pretty good for trimming but needed three lines...
Old 04-04-2008

freddy4888 is on a distinguished road
I own a Hunter cutter with the boomed staysail and love it. I use a yankee cut jib on a furler and a hank on staysail. Tacking my boat is so easy, the jib comes across the staysail stay with no problems what so ever and the self tacking stay sail only requires trimming a single sheet. After sailing my cutter rigged boat, I would never convert it to a sloop. The boat is so much more balanced than my old 30' sloop, plus the sail options it gives you is more versatile than a sloop.