Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-03-2008

sinead is on a distinguished road
yanmar gm20 oil change

I need to change the oil on my Yanmar gm20, is there a sump plug nut or do I have to pump it out the dip stick hole. It is about 1999.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2008

drynoc is on a distinguished road
No drain plug

You have to get it out through the filler hole, but there are a lot of good, cheap manual pumps for that purpose.
Old 04-04-2008

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
Indeed you evacuate the oil through the dip stick tube. Consider purchase of an "Oil Boy Fluid Extractor" or similar device. It's much easier and cleaner than a handfeld transfer pump. On the downside, it's more expensive and too bulky to store aboard.
Old 04-04-2008

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
I use a hand pump. Yes it can be messy if you're not careful. Layout lots of newspaper around to catch dips. Clean up the hand pump and tubings thorough after use. To clean the tubing, run a small piece of tissue paper into it with a steel or galvanise wire.
Old 04-04-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Get a PELA 2000 pump (google it - they're less than $40). It works better than any other pump I've tried. I can change the oil on my motor in less than 10 minutes without spilling - literally - a drop. It collects the oil in it's own container and you can bring the container to an Auto Zone or similar place and they'll empty it for disposal. It goes through the filler hole, but as long as you run the engine for a few minutes to warm the oil, you can get most of the oil out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2008

nk235 is on a distinguished road
I'm gonna jump in here and semi hi jack the thread although its right along the same line. Anyway I just bought a new larger boat and it is going to be my first time dealing with an inboard deisel. I was actually planning on buying an oil pump pretty soon and I like the suggestions so far. So my question is once you pump the oil, all you have to do is replace the oil filter, lube the ring before putting it on and then add new oil right? Is this something someone could do for the first time without watching someone first? Also are any other tools needed besides the oil pump?

THanks
Old 04-04-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
A good oil pump is critical. You may also find you'll need a filter wrench to remove the old filter. When you install the new filter, do it only hand tight.

When adding the oil, do so at a measured pace. You won't get all of the old oil out of the motor and you don't want to overfill it. It's not quite like a car where it will almost completely drain and a precise amount can go back in.

If you can tie your shoes, you can change the oil in a boat. With the right tools (did I say get a good pump?) it's easy enough that you won't mind doing it a few times a year.

While you're at it, change the zincs, the hoses, the belts, the fuel filters, the air filter, the thermostat and the impeller. If this is your first boat with a diesel, doing the above will let you benchmark the maintenance and get you more comfortable with the motor.

You don't want to learn how to bleed your motor or swap your impeller when you're away from your slip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
What Others Have Said, but to make your life....

easier, try to change the oil when it's warm. You could change the air filter, impeller, fuel filter, etc. first. Bleed any air then start the motor, run it for a few minutes until the engine gets warm, (make sure you have cooling water going to the engine). Running the motor for a few will warm the oil and lower it's viscosity allowing it to flow easier when you pump it out.

After you turn the motor off, wait a few minutes to allow the oil to drain back into the bottom of the engine and cool a little before you start to pump it out. The oil will pump out much easier now. Replace the oil filter and HAND tighten it. Tighting it with wrench will make your life a living hell when it's time to change it again. Don't forget to apply a thin coating of new oil to the oil filter gasket before you put it on.

However, you can pump the oil out without warming it up if you want or if it is not possible to start the motor. It will just take longer.

In the fall, when you put the boat away for the winter, change the oil then.. One less then to do in the spring.

DrB
Old 04-05-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Quote...

"While you're at it, change the zincs, the hoses, the belts, the fuel filters, the air filter, the thermostat and the impeller."

...unquote.

If it's a Volvo, see your bank manager first.

Carry spares certainly, but don't change them if they are working fine... you are just chucking good money and good parts away.
Old 04-05-2008

Shortman is on a distinguished road
Oil Boy

works great. Neat, clean, fast. I buy very little from West "List Price +" Marine but occasionally they deep discount things like this, especially in the spring