Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-03-2008

chrisnewtimes is on a distinguished road
Question Anyone used "CRUISING DIRECT SAILS"?

I have received a quote from them whci is cheaper than the one I received from there supposeed parent company "North Sails"

Do any members have any knowlwdge of this organization, do North own them? are there products really made to the same standard as North sails?

thank you
yours aye

Chris Calderbank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2008

swadiver is on a distinguished road
Chris,

I have a Cruising Direct main and 150% Genoa on my 30' Catalina. The way it was explained to me by a North Sails rep is that Crusing Direct uses the same material with a slightly different stiching plan than its parent (North Sails). The savings is in the fact that you do the sail selection, measurement of the boat and the sail install. Where North Sails will ask you what type of sailing you do too try and match the sail type to your crusing area and then measure the boat for you. I was able to measure my boat correctly and the sails fit perfectly plus I really like the 'loose foot' on the main as it really helps the boats performance. I'm very happy with my choice, although some on this board will say that I'm only happy because my old sails were blown out and any new sail is an improvement and I'm not skilled enough to know the difference. I suppose that is partly true. However, I still like my choice. Good luck.

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.
Old 04-03-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
This is actually a really good question. My main from North was loose footed as well (Imagine my trying to run it through the boom tracks and calling up going "Something wrong here")...Since most common boats have sail plans very well established... I do not buy the fact its different stitching so to say.... Orders are fulfilled in over-seas branches (mine I know were NOT done in the seattle branch) - curious what the price difference is....and if Cruising Direct adds the numbers / class emblems to the sails (which I imagine maybe not and thus explains?)...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-03-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I had them make a main for my 30' Cal 9.2 in 2001. Very pleased. The sails are made by North (CD farms the work out to the loft that has the least work going on). As suggested by swadiver, the savings come from you doing the measuring and being limited to a couple of standard designs and a few options. Absolutely the same as a "real" North sail made to the same design.
Old 04-03-2008

swadiver is on a distinguished road
Graphics and emblems were delivered already on my main. However, they forgot my racing numbers. I was directed to go to a North Sails loft here in Newport Beach and they installed the numbers at no cost.

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.
Old 04-03-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
Graphics and emblems were delivered already on my main. However, they forgot my racing numbers. I was directed to go to a North Sails loft here in Newport Beach and they installed the numbers at no cost.
Thanks that is good to know - as I will have to buy new sails for the new boat...How long was delivery via CD from time of order?

S/V "
" -

Old 04-03-2008

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
I ordered a new main and roller furling 140% genoa from Cruising Direct at the boat show, and, with the boat show pricing added to the normal savings for measuring my own boat, the price was unbeatable. In the past, I have purchased good quality racing cut sails from North, as well as cheap sails from a deep discount company (when my son was in college and I needed sails). The CD sails are very nicely made, fit perfectly, and I'm very satisfied with them. My only reservation is that I asked for a big roach on the mainsail, and it wasn't as big as I had hoped, but they're nice sails, and based on only one race with the new sails, she's very competitive.
Old 04-03-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
A local fellow has them on a J37. He likes them for what they are.

I personally have been told that CD uses a 2nd or 3rd generation ago sail cloth. IE if you want the latest and greatest dacron, go to the north loft, if you want what was top o the line 3-5 yrs ago, then the CD loft will get you that. At least that is how I have been told.

Then again, as all have said, ANY sail right out of the loft will be faster than what "I" have, ie 22 yr old original dacs, or even newer oldies will be slower than a new sail out of the bag/loft.

Marty
Old 04-03-2008

This is an interesting thread... and most of my intention was driven by personal experience. Here is one situation that going to a local loft works well...

a. you have been a customer
b. you buy new boat - they know it already..

I will say that my experiences range - but because I own a business I expect more than most. But, I can also state its refreshing when you get back to the one on one - that I think sometimes ones needs can be met more proficiently. Because you know they know that you know they know etc...

Over time - it becomes a better relationship something one may not get mail ordering... When I got sails for C-27 I knew 1/5 of what I know now... I spent the money because they did the work to verify that no owners had modded or otherwise changed the sail plan and investigated what rigging was in place... Now that I am going to a much larger boat - ironically - they have the data on that one too... and let me know that (and its not a popular boat in the US)...

So part of the equation does have to be - what kind of support do you get in the long run... maybe thats the price diff.. maybe not.. but I do not know what kind of price you can place on piece of mind either...

None the less interesting thread as I think in the end - alot more will be revealed about needs versus what one gets...

Thanks!

S/V "
" -

Old 04-03-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I personally have been told that CD uses a 2nd or 3rd generation ago sail cloth. IE if you want the latest and greatest dacron, go to the north loft, if you want what was top o the line 3-5 yrs ago, then the CD loft will get you that. At least that is how I have been told.
CD markets these sail as cruising/club race sails, not state-of-the-art racing sails. So I wouldn't be surprised if they're built with a different cloth than the current top-of-the-line North sails. But note that CD doesn't have a loft - the sails are made at a North loft using the same cloth you would get if you ordered a similar sail from that North loft. My CD sail has a North logo on it, not CD, and all the paperwork that came with says North, including a letter from the North loft in Texas that built it apologizing for the delivery delay and sending a free North duffle.

Last edited by JimsCAL; 04-03-2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.