Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-04-2008
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
louder Alarm.

Seriously......
As I will be starting the second part of my adventure single handed, I would like to, if possible have the girly alarm on my Radar (Raymarine SL70C plus) modified to at least as loud as my smoke alarm. Has anybody done this and how? Why any company would have an alarm that goes peep peep peep instead of BAPP BAPP BAPP is just gay, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Simon, girly alarms are a serious problem the world over!.

As a quick fix, may I suggest switching the radio to "PA" and taping the mic over the Radar alarm buzzer?? At least that way you'll be sure to hear it!
Old 04-04-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I'd suggest getting one of those baby monitors designed to be placed next to the kiddo's crib and the speaker in the other room with Mom. If I'm not mistaken, they run on 115volts A/C via a 12volt DC transformer. Dump the transformer and plug 'er in.

To wire your radar alarm, which is not designed as a turn it on and go to sleep system as that is unsafe, you'll need to measure the amount of current the radar's alarm speaker is getting and then wire in a relay rated for that current on it's actuation side. The other side of the relay can have 12volt DC current wired through it going to your klaxon.
Old 04-04-2008

gershel is on a distinguished road
Raymarine sells a type of junction box that would allow an external alarm to be connected, such as a Radio Shack alarm. The box runs about $160.
Marc
Old 04-04-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Those battery powered external computer speakers are a dime a dozen. I wonder if they could be spliced into the alarm speaker on the device, placed where you want them (one near the sea bunk, the other at the companion way?) and then turned them on when you need them.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 04-04-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
You can pick up pretty obnoxious 12 VDC buzzers at electronic surplus supply stores for $5 or so. I have one I'm going to wire into my oil pressure circuit. Whether you want the Raymarine option is I suppose contingent on your soldering confidence, because buggering out an oil pressure sensor isn't as big a deal as pooching one's radar.
Old 04-04-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Simon, it might pay to visit an electronics tech who is also an authorized Raymarine shop. What you can do will depend on how Raymarine is powering their alarm, if it is a small piezo chip and they are using a limited-power driver to make it chirp, they may be able to "simply" insert a driver transistor or relay to drive a higher power louder buzzer or alarm circuit. But if things aren't so simple or robust--just hacking in could blow up the whole thing. Better to pay someone who can tell exactly what their driver is up to.
Old 04-04-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Hellosailor- thanks for that advice, I wear hearing aids and can't hear any of the high pitched alarms on the boat. I wonder if all of them could be hooked up to an amp of some kind and then to a single speaker, that would be great. I use the dog now, if his ears go up and his head tilts, I know something is wrong . Not foolproof, but it works (sometimes).

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 04-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
JRD-

Might be worthwhile to hook the alarms up to a high intensity light instead. One of my friends, who is legally deaf, has done much the same on her boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-04-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
SD, that's probably even a better idea. If we are sailing I may hear it, but if the engine is running - forget it. Thanks, I'll look into it.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse