Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-06-2008

sailbot is on a distinguished road
main sail from genoa

Hi guys

This may be a dumb question , can I make a main sail from a genoa ?
My main has seen better days, can I convert a Genoa ( It is larger than the old main and in great shape) I would have to sew a bolt rope into the foot for sliding into the boom and install some batten pockets.

I was wondering if the shape is compatible, also the foot of the genoa doesnt appear to be at right angle to the luff, I guess I modify that part before I sew the bolt rope in.

If I can get away with this I would still have a storm jib , asymetrical spinicer
and a crispy new main !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Thats probably not gonna work....

There is more than cutting a shape of sail... its the design of the sail to begin with.. I bet no loft would do it for you - but you could entertain doing it yourself.. but no... if your genoa was a solid piece of cloth maybe... but I bet it has at least seven sown sections..

In the long run you would bet better off just getting a new main... time X effort X failure... would more than offset the purchase of a discount sail... my opinion though...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-06-2008

Ya it has about 5 sections with horizontal stitching joining each section
When full it seems to have basically the same shape as the main. I admit this would be a hack backyard job, with a standard sewing machine and maybe, hand stitching , but i really dont need the big jenny like I need a new main

thanks 4 your thoughts
Old 04-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No, it really would be a waste of a good genoa. Not only are the forces on the sail very different, but the shape engineered into the sail is also wrong. No amount of cutting is going to turn a good genny into a good main.

BTW, buying a headsail is often less expensive than buying a mainsail, so replacing the main by hacking up a genny doesn't really make financial sense IMHO.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-07-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-06-2008

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
sell the genoa on e-bay use the money to purchase a good used main what size/make boat do you have.
Old 04-06-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Also consider - that if the main is ok condition - most lofts can do work on the main to recut and reshape the main, and you can get a few more years out of it for far cheaper cost (think it runs fro about $200-500, depending on what needs to be done....

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-06-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
If yo think about it, the luff of the genny is designed to have the correct shape while running on an angle from the masthead to the bow of your boat. If you take the head of that sail and rotate it forward so that the luff is now vertical like a mainsail, you'll see that the shape will not be the same. Yes it still will be a triangle shape, but that's not the part of the shape that makes the boat go. Keep the genny and send the main out to SailCare for reconditioning if you can't afford a new one right now. They do great work and just a fraction of the cost of a replacement.
Old 04-06-2008

HI again, After all these great obsevations, I will try to sell the genny. I have a Crown 23 in nice shape and the sail I want to get rid of is a # 1 Genoa in pristine condition, any body interested ? I can give measurements on request.
I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds, trying to unload sails here

Terry
Old 04-06-2008

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
When most people replace their sails, the sails are fairly well worn, and, if they try to sell them, they can't get much money for them. Since they can't sell it, they put the old sail in the basement. Nevertheless, for a guy who needs a sail, one of those sails could provide him a few years of decent service. Look around for people with boats about the same size as yours with new sails. Ask them if they still have their old mainsail, and perhaps they'll either sell it to you for a good price, or perhaps even give it to you. Also, check bulletin boards around marinas for used sails, and ask other sailors if they know of any. If you look and ask around, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a usable mainsail for less than it would cost you to mess up that nice jib, trying to modify it.

Try my suggestions before you sell your jib. You might get lucky and get a freebie, and then you'll still have your jib, and I have a feeling you'll find it very useful. If your sail inventory includes a mainsail, asymetrical spinnaker and storm jib, you'll find a jib of some size very useful, and you'll be glad to have it.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 04-06-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailbot--

To advertise a sail for sale...use the classified ad section here.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.