SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

bilge pump DQ

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  scottcallahan 
#1 ·
I just wired a new RuleMate auto and it doesn''t really pump the bilge entirely dry. It leaves about 1/2-3/4" of water there. It did pump the main portion out. Its that float switch on the autos set to leave some water there? It is mounted on the bottom of the bilge in the middle. The Rule website is fairly useless.

#3 ·
The depth to the pump impeller from the bottom of the bilge is at least 1/2". Beyond that, a pump will put water into a hose, but when the switch stops floating, it''ll shut off. Any water in the hose will drain back into the bilge. An antibackflow valve in the line would prevent this. Besides, separate float switches suck. Get a low amperage draw(500 gph or less) rule pump with internal switch for the bottom oof the bilge. That way bilge flotsam, hoses, etc., can''t lay across the switch. Throw away the float switch and mount your (probably) Rule 1500 8" to 10" above, with it wired to a manual switch. Anything happens, you''ve given it your best effort.

#4 ·
i''ve never seen a rule product that doesn''t leave 1/2 inch of water. the best you can get is 1/4 inch with a different setup. the setup goes as sutch you get a diaphram pump and mount it close to the bilge but not in it. run a hose to a strum box otherwise known as a bilge strainer.
the diaphram is designed to let the water only go one way. and stops water from flowing back. and the strainer allow''s you to drain to a lower level.
but all of this is not worth doing. the thing
i would do, is sponge out the bilge and get it dry so you can look for leaks and fix them . and if you fix them you wont have a wet bilge.

hi VIEXILE i''ve seen you on alot of these, are you a marine technitian or do you just have alot of time around boats?

-scott-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.