Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-07-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
No need to disassemble it...There is a luff grove in the foil the sail will pull down...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second Stillraining... there shouldn't be a need to disassemble the roller furling unit, unless it is one of the strange internal halyard ones...like CDI IIRC. IN that case, you couldn't use the jib halyard to go aloft anyways.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-07-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
CapnSantiago...are you SURE you have to dismantle the furling gear? How do you get the headsail down if you want to change headsails or remove it for the winter? I would unroll the headsail...loosen the halyard and try to haul the sail down...usually the halyard will come down with the top furling swivel and the sail.
Old 04-07-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I don't understand that statement as well.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 04-07-2008
Swabbing the deck

Watermelon is on a distinguished road
That reminds me of the time when my in-Laws, my better half, and I were out sailing in the Bay. We were ghosting along then noticed we were running low on time before dark, so we had to fire up the iron genny. Of course, we dropped the sail, but forgot to tie off the other end of it. Effectively, we had the shackle side, but not the part that cleats off (the other end). Fortunately, I was clever enough to leave a loop on the end of it (which normally stays on the cleat, but must have slipped off), so we went fishing with the extra-long-extendable boat hook strapped to the emergency paddle, thus extending it another 5 feet, with my better half (lighter than me and taller than me) hoisted on my Father in-law's shoulders (also taller than me).

In retrospect, I should have taken pictures.

Anyway, moral of the story is, don't worry, other people have been there too. And we fished it back using the method you stated (except no coat hanger, just a boat hook).
Old 04-07-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I wish you had pictures too...
Old 04-07-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
What sort of furler is it? Odd that you need to "dismantle it" to get the halyard free.... If it's the type that has the internal halyard on the furler then you'll have a lot of difficulty using that halyard to hoist anyone up to the top.

You may want to ask around the marina, see if anyone (preferably a young, fit racing bowman - oops person) is willing to climb up there for you.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-07-2008

CapnSantiago is on a distinguished road
Aha, well now you know my limited knowledge of the headsail roller furling assembly. I have never changed headsails...had really not ever considered that you could. I "assumed" the whole assembly had to come down. I'll have to take a look this weekend, but I bet it works just as Stillraining, Cam and Sailortjk1 outline. At least that simplifies things. So if I can just get the "twirley-loop" trick to work (or go up the mast as a last resort) I'll be back on the water...with a new PROPER headboard shackle (and back-up retriever system) of course.

Thanks guys...great input.
Old 04-07-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
You shouldn't have to "dismantle" the furler. Just unfurl the sail, release the jib halyard, and pull the jib down.

When you tie onto your bosun's chair, use a bowline - not a shackle. That's good practice anyway and it seems like your luck with shackles is prety thin this week anyway.

I assume you only have one jib halyard and no spinnaker halyard? If so, go aloft with a tether and, when you get above the spreaders, secure it around the mast and back to your chair as a measure of safety.

Old 04-07-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Oh look - a whole other page! Apologies for any redundancies in my prior post.

To add something new - I was swapping my main halyard about a month ago and I did not tie off the messenger line. I had cut quite a bit of the messenger line off recently to use as emergency light air spin trims and it was shorter than it was the last time I used it to swap a halyard.

When the main halyard exited the top of the mast it dropped to the deck, pulling the messenger line with it. It was a horrible thing watching the end of the messenger disappear into the mast.

I have a fractional rig on my boat and, if there's no main halyard, there's no getting to the top. Fortunately, there was some messenger line left towards the top of the mast and I was able to fish it out of the jib halyard sheave box between the sheaves and then feed it back down.

The point is - everybody loses halyards one way or another. This will be a good experience and, I bet, you'll check the shackle carefully from now on and this won't happen when you would otherwise be enjoying a nice sail.