Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-12-2008
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MABON01 View Post
How about just using gaffs (climbing gear in the tree and utility business); they would work great on a wood mast, though hell to get a bite on an aluminum one.
You could just put Magnets in your shoes, that would help.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Must be a Southern Hemisphere Phenomena...
Old 04-13-2008
Heavy on the Mr. part

luckytexan is on a distinguished road
I seen a guy with the same problem at the marina one day and he was fishing for it with a long pole. What size boat do you have? this was a C22 or 25 and we just walked it down to a double slip that was empty tied it up loose and tossed a rope thru the spreaders, I pulled on the rope and brought the mast close enough to snag it with a boat hook.
Might have been tough if the swing keel wasn't up but maybe not. I had a heck of a lot of leverage with the rope. Just a thought! Sometimes the simple plan ya know?
Old 04-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Simon-

Aluminum isn't magnetic... Might help on a steel mast...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
You could just put Magnets in your shoes, that would help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-12-2008

dp02840 is on a distinguished road
hate to tell you, you own a boat and you should get comfortable with going up and down the halyards to do regular maintenance. I've had this problem before and 90% of the time it's human error. The only way to not have this happen in the future is to install another halyard for backup or do regular maintenance on your halyards. IE check the knots for fraying,shackles from rusting. Salt water is your enemy in this situation. GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-13-2008

JohnBoelte is on a distinguished road
So, did the OP ever get his halyard down?
Old 07-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I doubt it...probably got scared off by all the horror stories.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-14-2008

jimmiebuchanan is on a distinguished road
Just two days ago I was swapping out my main halyard and right as I was about to attach the new wire to the lead wire the lead slipped out of my hand and was pulled all the way to the top of the mast. I was so pissed off that I just spit on my hands and free climbed the 35 feet up until I was able to grab the halyard with my teeth and slide back down. Once I got back to the deck and realized what I had just done my knees felt very weak and shaky. I realized some people at the marina had been watching and I pretended that it was no big deal, but I was actually pretty shakey and went down in the cabin ASAP to calm down. Not going to win the safety award, but hey, I got it.
Old 05-22-2012

BDFletch is on a distinguished road
Re: Retrieving Main Halyard from top of Mast?

I was lucky, rear stay to top of mast helped me turn a dream into reality!!!

Our 28' Alerion Express has a ~40' mast, fixed keel and was initially rigged with portable davit at the boat ramp. When sailing last week the main sail came down (failed shackle or install error) leaving the halyard at the top of the mast. Thought about using a chair lift but the jib is on a roller furling so that was going to be a lot of work and being fractional rigged reaching the top of the mast was still going to be challenge. No ladder telephone poles were at the ramp and the marina never called back about allowing us to walk on top of their travel lift so I could reach out for the dangeling halyard end via pole hook.
I slept on problem and dreamed about a way to get to the halyard without climbing or de-rigging. The rear (stern/aft) stay just happened to go to the top of the mast and was attached to a bracket protruding about 8-10" towards the rear of the boat. I stopped at the big-box store for cheap PVC (.79ea) and couplings (1.59ea). I slit 6 - 8' by 1/2" PVC pipes to the end except one and a half dozen coupling's length wise. I started with a four foot length of PVC (easier to get started up the stay while standing on the stern of the boat) and attached a 45 degree fitting, the end of this four foot length was not slit all the way by a couple of inches, so the rear stay cable does not go all the way through this one length of PVC. Attached a six to eight inch length of unslit PVC on the other end of the 45 degree coupling. I fashioned a hook from a metal coat hanger (getting harded to find) and installed it into the 6-8" PVC piece securing with duct tape. I then slid a total of 4 slit 8' pipes up the rear stay attaching each to another with the slit couplers. I duct taped each fitting snuggly in place (both horizontally and vertically) as I advanced the contraption up the stay eight feet at a time. I then twisted the whole assembly until I snagged the halyard with the hanger hook. With the halyard snagged (yea!!!) I slowly un-assembled the PVC a length at a time to get it all apart and down along with the halyard. Cost ~$20 for pipe and couplings (threw away after use), plus duct tape, hack saw and/or PVC cutting tool.

Last edited by BDFletch; 05-22-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: tuned up story

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.