Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Question Anyone use an Algae-X?

Well, my curiosity has been piqued. I've read the manufacturer's claims, and their literature, but would like to hear from anyone who has actual experience with the Algae-X LG-X fuel conditioner.

Does the product live up to the hype?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2008

scosch is on a distinguished road
algae-x

The previous owner of the boat that Ive owned for only one year, used the Algae-X system. She used it in Maryland for several years and swore by it. She had the special "filter" made for the system but Ive never really understood what that filter was as it never needs maintainence. Ive continued to use the Algae-X additive. Ive inspected the tank several times and there is little or no black gunk on the bottom. So, Im sticking with it but I have no idea if it works any better than other additives and as for the filter, well, my Racors have been perfectly clean so far. Only problem in NW Washington is that there is only one dealer in Seattle but the company says it will ship it to me without hazardous content costs.
Old 04-08-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
The Algae-X device is a magnet that the fuel runs through (Algae-X calls it inductive energy), and the magnet is suppose to realign the molecules that the fuel is comprised of. Clusters of molecules begin to form when the fuel sits for a period of time in the tank, and these clusters will form the sludge that accumulates in the tank. Excess fuel that returns to the tank from the engine, is freshened up after passing through the Algae-X device, and this helps eliminates molecule clusters...this is what I've been told by Algae-X reps.

While I have not used the additives, I do use the Algae-X device. It has no moving parts, so it does not need to be cleaned. When I had my fuel tank wanded and the fuel polished a year ago, I was told that the tank was fairly clean, and the fuel was very good. I've heard opinions both ways on this product, but it seems to work...so I'm keeping it.
Old 04-08-2008
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Jiffy -- Thanks, that's the kind of feedback I'm loking for.

Scosch -- Although I was asking about the LG-X magnetic conditioner, your info on the additive is also useful so thanks as well.

Anyone else with opinions and/or experience?
Old 04-08-2008

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I've heard opinions both ways on this product, but it seems to work...so I'm keeping it.
I'll bet it's also kept pirates away... prevented the boat from sinking... warded off voodoo curses... and probably cured halitosis, to boot.

The things are snake oil. Clusters of fuel molecules don't clog filters -- dirt does. If you've got water at the bottom of the tank there is a particular kind of algae that can live at the interface of the water and fuel. When they die their little bodies form the black gunk that clogs filters.

The Alge-X thing is an aluminum housing with some magnets inside. Magnets don't kill anything. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machines wouldn't be anywhere near hospitals if they they did. Here's a video from a university in Holland of a frog being levitated by a very strong magnet (about half a million times stronger than the earth's magnetic field, or 10 times stronger than the best rare earth magnet):

So strong magnets don't harm living things.

Biocides, on the other hand, do prevent algae from growing in diesel fuel tanks. There are several out there. Keeping water out of the tank works good, too.

Cheers,

Tim
ottos likes this.
Old 04-08-2008
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Oh, I thought you were supposed to nail it to the mast next to the chicken head.... my bad

(Conflict of interest report: My step-son sells a VERY similar system on new automobiles as a "fuel conditioner" for about $300, they are JUST as effective)
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 04-08-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
See, I told you that opinions vary with Algae-X
Old 04-08-2008
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
See, I told you that opinions vary with Algae-X

Indeed, LOL. I wouldn't take it off if my used boat came with it; what the hell, luck is luck, right? But it is definitely a waste of money.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 04-08-2008

Lancerbye is on a distinguished road
The PO had two of them installed in this vessel. I don't think they do anything more than provide conversational pieces. But I will leave them here as since removing them would be a greater problem. I didn't know what they were when I first came across them. Had to reseach it on the net. I think they are really there to prevent interplanetary fungus from attacking you in your sleep.
Old 04-08-2008

Loewe is on a distinguished road
The Magnetic unit is not to "kill" anything but to alter the H2O to the point where it isn't available to support the biological life forms that create the sludge. The only scientific way to determine the system's effectiveness is to recall your Jr. High science and apply the scientific method. There would seem to be a lot said for before and after tests on a system you can personally observe. Or........you can rely on the engineers that did the same thing for the company.
Regards,
Red