Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-13-2008
johnr

jr438234606 is on a distinguished road
Have I ruined my engine?

I was on my way back to the dock. My Perkins 4.108 had been running for about 3 minutes. I noticed a bit of a drop in RPMs. I checked my engine instruments and noticed that the oil pressure was ZERO! I immediately put the throttle in nuetral/idle and reached for the kill switch. When the engine went to idle, but before I could pull out the kill switch completely, I heard the engine make two squeals and instantly freeze. I wanted to see if the engine was frozen solid, so I bumped the starter with the kill switch engaged-- just to see if it would move at all. It will turn over 4 times, and then squeal and seize again.

I inspected the engine to see what caused the oil pressure to drop. The bilge was full of oil. A hose on the oil pump had ruptured and the entire engine was drained of oil in a matter of seconds.

The engine is almost 30 years old, and has lots of hours on it. I've been thinking of replacing it anyway due to some other quirks it has that I have never been able to fully resolve. However, repowering means missing most, if not all, of the 2008 sailing season. I sure would love get the existing engine going again.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Maybe not ruined but definitely requiring a rebuild now...It was probably starved for oil longer then you think and my guess you scored/siezed some bearings and your crankshaft rod or main journals...Piston liners and possibly cracked a ring or two...either of which will give the symptoms you describe..

Bummer .... ..
Smiley Face

Last edited by Stillraining; 04-13-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Fix the hose..

Fix the hose, fill it with oil and try it. What have you got to lose.. It may get you through the season even if it does burn some oil, and then again it may not, but your already committed so why not..

I had that happen to my first car. I hit a rock with the oil pan going to a party in the "power lines" and the engine bogged down and when I let off the gas it stalled. A buddy towed me out and home, I replaced the oil pan, refilled with oil though substituting one quart of oil for one quart of Marvel Mystery oil and the damn thing ran for another 30k until it finally rusted out..!! Of course it was a Honda so it's no surprise it kept on ticking.........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-13-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Good idea to have a check list, whether it be in your head or on paper. One of the things on that list, should be to check your engine oil, every time you take the boat out.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-13-2008

gypsywomen is on a distinguished road
last I checked you dont NEED an engine to sail
Old 04-13-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsywomen View Post

Ha, you just want to hear people scream as I sail my boat to the dock.....
Old 04-13-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsywomen View Post
Clearly you don't sail where there are strong currents or large tides.. Not having an engine in Maine really limits the number of coves and harbors you can get into and out of without waiting for hours..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-13-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
Go For it, nothing to lose.

Do what other's have suggested and replace the hose, refill with oil, and try her again. Before you up and all out crank it, can you hand crack it first and circulate the new oil into the cylinders before you start it?

On my Yanmar, I can isolate the cylinder compression for each cylinder, which makes it very easy to hand crank and circulate the oil. You then start the motor, it starts very rough. Allow it to turn for 30 seconds or so, and then and slowly bring the cylinders on line, one-by-one. If you can't get the first cylinder to keep moving, you at least may do less damage to the motor then pure straight cranking it with all cylinders engaged.

Good luck.

DrB

Last edited by DrB; 04-13-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2008

gulfcoastcruiser is on a distinguished road
Fill her with oil and see what happens. I had a similar experience with a car once also. I hit something that knocked a hole in the oil pan and I drove probably 30 miles before I realized that I didn't have any oil. I fixed the hole filled the oil and drove it for another 60,000 miles. It did use oil from then on, but oil is a lot cheaper than an engine.
Old 04-13-2008

gulftex is on a distinguished road
If you put oil in and start engine and a piston siez,you may get a rod through the block.No rebuild then cheaper to go for new engine.Pull the oil filter and cut it open to see if there is metal in it before start up.If the cress of filter has metal in it you have a hard choice to make.