Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-15-2008
johnr

jr438234606 is on a distinguished road
Price for new diesel engines

I'm in the market for a new diesel engine. I'm trying to locate a dealer for a Yanmar 4JH4, (54 HP I think) or something about the same size from another mfr. I would consider something from Westerbeke or Volvo also.

I know there are some here who have repowered. What kind of prices did you find? And, who was the dealer? I was recently quoted $10,500 for the Yanmar 4JH4. (That's without installation obviously). Is there a consensus on the reputations of the mfrs I mentioned?

By the way, this is replacing a Perkins 4.108 50HP on a 44', 28,000lb sailboat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Beta Marine make a good unit, Kubota based.

Volvo? Not for me. Astronomical spare parts prices once the motor gets older, and 20 years is "old" for them, apparently. Don't learn that the way I, and others have. In 1997, for a 20 year-old Volvo MD17C, Volvo wanted £1300 (about $2400) for the exhaust manifold, alone. Just the manifold.

That was 10 years ago, and those are the prices quoted 10 years ago.

That is not an experience I would wish you to repeat.

The Kubota motor is also used for other applications... fork lifts, and so on. This is a good sign when you go looking for parts.

I have no hidden interest in Kubota.

Rockter.
Old 04-16-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I have a Yanmar 4JHE and am very happy with it. It is a bit undersized for my boat though. If I were repowering I would definitely go with Yanmar. I once got a quote for a similar Westerbeke and it also was $10k plus installation.
Old 04-16-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Someone said once that Volvo made a great diesel right up until you had to buy a spare part, and then you got an insight into the true cost of Swedish unionized labour.

At 44 feet and nearly 15 tons, you've got a pretty heavy boat. Complications like a lightweight engine or turbo would be wasted on it: you want torque, reliability and are probably indifferent to whether the engine is 600 or 900 lbs. I imagine your prop is at least 18 inches, and possibly 20.

Consequently, you might want to look at a more "tractor"-like engine, like a Kubota or a Beta, something with good access and parts you don't have to order through a "marine dealer" but from a farm machinery supplier or an auto-parts place.

You may also wish to consider the dimensions aspect: Will you have to glass in a new stern tube to accommodate a different transmission angle to the coupler? Will you have to make new engine beds? Will your favoured engine be too tall or wide for its compartment?

In my experience, these follow-on modifications can cost as much or more than the new diesel. Anticipate a few hours looking at engine drawings and measuring odd spots on your boat.

Is the Perkins completely dead? I might consider a rebuild if it wasn't, because it's got a huge user base and parts are still easily found. I might even consider putting in someone else's rebuilt Perkins if the provenance was good. I have a Westerbeke W-52, essentially a Mazda pickup diesel engine, that I'm rebuilding to avoid a lot of the hassle of repositioning everything the engine touches.
Old 04-16-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Yes, don't put a turbo in there.
Old 04-16-2008

Fareast is on a distinguished road
I have a 40 foot ketch, 27K lbs, 30K lbs when loaded... I put in a new Westerbeke 64 HP diesel, after a couple of upgrades on a 190 amp alternator and a few other things it was just shy of $13K. I like it because it turns slower than most at 2600 RPM, you will probably need a 20" prop. We purchased it in the fall of 2005, it has about 60hrs and has been excellent for us.

Mike & Paula
S/V Tivoli
Old 04-16-2008

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
I have a 4Jhte with almost 7,000 hours - Running strong and I'm not planning on repowering unless it croaks.
Old 04-16-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I would compare the Yanmar offerings to the Betamarine (marinized Kubota) line. They offer non-turbo 60 and 75 hp engines:

Beta Marine US Ltd. Distributors for Kubota based marine diesel engines and generators for sailboats, yachts and trawler boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-16-2008
johnr

jr438234606 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Is the Perkins completely dead?
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

It will turn over, barely. I can hear a squealing sound, even now that I've refilled it with oil. I'm thinking that one or more bearings are completely shot. The engine is a patchwork quilt... numerous owners, suspect wiring, aging components (approaching 30 years), and now my own contribution: running it without oil. So, as far as I am concerned, yes, it is completely dead. It would have to be COMPLETELY rebuilt to have my trust. I don't want to throw good money after bad, so I've made the decision to repower with a brand new engine.

I am hoping to find an engine that has a similar footprint. I was told that Yanmar was considered a good replacement for the 4.108. I would hoping to NOT have to rework the stern tube. Motor mounts are inevitable.
Old 04-16-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Then I think you should haul out the old one and take down EVERY measurement from it that you want to approximate. The Perkins 4.108 is so common that I wouldn't be surprised if Beta/Kubota or another manufacturer hadn't made a new diesel in the 50-66 HP range that is practically a drop-in for it. Obviously, your main concern are the mounts and the width of the sump, and of course the position of the coupler. Figure out if you can stand more height or more width of the block between the mounts if the other measurements are good.

Newer diesels, thanks to common rail injectors and other little tweaks, are more efficient than old ones, but for a boat like yours I'd favour what was mentioned above: big, slow-turning and "steady".