Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-16-2008

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Refixing inner forstay plate into wood

Hi guys,

last week noticed that the stainless steel inner forstay plate was lifting with the top of two bolts rusted off. Tried to remove the remaining bolts and they broke off leaving about 3-5mm (0.1-0.2 inch) protuding from the wood. The plate is connected to the timber that extends forward and become part of the wooden bowsprit. The timber is about 10cm (4 inches) thick at that point.

Trying to figure out how to reattach & have come up with the following options:
  1. drill out the old bolts with a small drillbit and tap into the remains of the bolt, then use a smaller diameter bolt
  2. drill out the bolts with a large drill bit (effectively removing the old bolt), fill up the holes with epoxy then tap into the epoxy and bolt
  3. grind the bolt studs down, shift the plate forward by 10-15mm (0.4-0.6 inch), drill new holes and screw into the wood

Note that I do not have access underneath so bolting through the deck is not an option.

Opinons / alternatives welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
An inner forestay, that is usually used for storm sails, isn't something that you want connected without through-bolting IMHO, even if it means using 5" long bolts to do so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-16-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If you have access, how about having a bracket made that goes across and down the sides of the timber, and then through bolt sideways? You could have the original plate welded to the bracket.

From your avatar I'm assuming we're talking about some sort of timber bowsprit here?

A picture would help a lot.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-16-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I like fasters idea a lot. One thing you should do is get the old screws our of there as you don't want them further deteriorating within the wood. Fill with epoxy and then mount the new bracket.
Old 04-16-2008

Pictures

Sorry about the quality but it's the best I got at the moment. I'll see if I can figure out how to post them in the thread.

Camaraderie, I'll probably get at least one of them out to determine whether they are screws or bolts. I suspect they are screws. For any I leave in I plan to grind out the tops and fill with epoxy to seal them in. That way corrosion will be stopped.

Faster, that sounds like a good idea. I'll check whether they are screws or bolts first. If they are bolts that would be a good way to reinforce.

Sailingdog, where this is would be very hard to access underneath. Would have to cut through two bulkheads and then you would still have two sampson posts in the way. Plus I suspect that the plate is currently screwed into place with at least 1/2 inch stainless steel screws. It has not moved for almost 30 years so seems to be fairly solid. Also note that only 4 screws were used, where the plate can take 6.
Attached Thumbnails
Refixing inner forstay plate into wood-131_3168.jpg   Refixing inner forstay plate into wood-131_3168_1.jpg   Refixing inner forstay plate into wood-131_3168_2.jpg  
Old 04-16-2008

Photos loaded

Hopefully this works

Last edited by Ilenart; 04-16-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Looks like you will be crawling inside the focs'l to inspect the backing plate in that section of the bow. The bolts and nuts may have been coated with fiberglass/resin thus making it very difficult to remove said items.
I found this to be true when changing a cleat on one vessel.
Old 04-16-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Perhaps it's an illusion, but it looks like there's space between the sprit and the deck... is there?... or is it just the side platforms that are off the deck?

In any event it looks like a sideways throughbolted bracket could work for you - though you may have to modify the timber cross pieces to make it fit well. I'd make sure the sprit is truly sound first, and make sure you leave enough "meat" around the bolts for strength.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-16-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
It looks to me that the bowspit thingie is centered in the back between the postee things and centered by the shinny horizonal brakets on the sides.

The chain below pulls down and the fore stay pulls up and is stoped by the contact between the poats and the deck.

I say get rid of the anchors, fore stay and the side mounts and the board thingie should lift from the back for access to the bottom after removing the long bolt between the posts.

Last edited by timebandit; 04-16-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: To add 8 words
Old 04-16-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Perhaps it's an illusion, but it looks like there's space between the sprit and the deck... is there?... or is it just the side platforms that are off the deck?
There is space under the left and right side platforms, probably 2-3 inches, however the main centre timber is mostly flat on the deck. From memory a couple of sections under the main timber have a gap or 2-3mm. Need to check when I am next down on the boat.

Quote:
I'd make sure the sprit is truly sound first, and make sure you leave enough "meat" around the bolts for strength.
The whole sprit is pretty solid. The previous owner added a stainless steel cap which is massive. I've found a couple of extra photos that show this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.