Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-23-2008

BreakingWind2 is on a distinguished road
Halekai,
Excellent, well written article. Only problem is...I was so tired just reading what to do, I had to have a nap. How am I going to be able to actually do it?

I'm free this weekend, how about I just meet you at my boat, say around noon on Saturday?

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2008

beej67 is on a distinguished road
Ryobi Buffers make me want to punch babies.
Old 04-23-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej67 View Post
Ryobi Buffers make me want to punch babies.

I can see wanting to clock the CEO of Ryobi for allowing such a ulelss tool to carry their name, especially after trying to actually buff something with it, but....... babies?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-23-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Urban slang hal - he wouldn't ever do it.

I could relate to that level of anger though, the sorry-ass Ryobi buffer I bought before my Makita, was used once before shoving it WAY back in my power tool cabinet.

Anybody want it - For Free?
Old 04-23-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Urban slang hal - he wouldn't ever do it.

I could relate to that level of anger though, the sorry-ass Ryobi buffer I bought before my Makita, was used once before shoving it WAY back in my power tool cabinet.

Anybody want it - For Free?
As I stated earlier in tis thread it's not even worth re-gifting..

Old 04-23-2008

beej67 is on a distinguished road
What, you've never punched babies before?

It's really quite liberating. Especially after standing on my head in my port cockpit locker for two hours trying to replace the raw water impeller on the Yanmar in my 323. Kick back a couple cool Coronas and punch a baby. Really uplifts the spirit.
Old 04-23-2008

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
Anyone know who makes the Simoniz 7" buffer. I think it said 12a motor on it. Just wondered if it is a decent quality machine! I realize Makita, Milwalkee, Dewalt,etc are a league apart from the lower brands - just wondered where this fell, as most shops at home don't carry the better brands. They carry other good brand tools, just not the 7" buffer / sanders, as there muct not be much demand!
Old 04-23-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
The "random orbit" polishers like the Ryobi or Simoniz, etc are mainly for wax or cleaner-wax application; they don't generate the proper torque to remove heavy oxidation. The random orbit is supposed to reduce swirl marks when rubbing wax on/off; but if you are good and know how to use a standard polisher, a random-orbit is not necessary.

The description of how to buff out gelcoat is almost exactly what I would suggest; great write-up Halekai.

I have a question about gelcoat thickness. What are the signs of it getting thin? On some areas of my hull it looks like it is still very thick; but other areas it appears to be showing "dots" of the base coat. Is the gelcoat super thin in those areas?

In terms of wax Vs. acrylic; I understand the concerns over wear-off or peeling. My main goal at this point is to protect/prevent further oxidation of the existing gelcoat. Is acrylic a better choice for this since it seals the gelcoat from the air; and if it does peel it can be stripped and re-applied, correct?
Old 04-25-2008

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
note on different Simoniz branded sander / polishers;

After reading about the fact that the Simoniz model (made by someone else, of course) may be a random / orbital unit, instead of pure rotary, I decided not to get it. However, after searching on the net, I found that they do make a direct drive 7" model, and it was on sale at Canadian tire for $59, regular $99. It was supposed to be 2 speed, with an rpm range between 1000 and 1350 rpms. Not Ideal, after reading Halekais posts, as I wanted a lower, and variable rpm model. Decided to stop by Canadian Tire to have a look anyway, and what do you know - the model they had on sale was an 11amp, variable speed (thumb dial) model wit ha 600 - 300 rpm NO LOAD- rating!!

I do realize that the better brands are normally more robust, etc, but it was on sale for $59 - and the kicker is that I got a $20 bonus gift card on the purchase - so I paid $39 for it!! (ended up being over $100 with a couple bonnets, microfiber rags, and other supplies).

Here is a pic / specs of the model (someone else had this on a detailing forum)
Alternative to the PC and G100, The simoniz sander-polisher 7" ??? - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online
Old 04-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
note on different Simoniz branded sander / polishers;

After reading about the fact that the Simoniz model (made by someone else, of course) may be a random / orbital unit, instead of pure rotary, I decided not to get it. However, after searching on the net, I found that they do make a direct drive 7" model, and it was on sale at Canadian tire for $59, regular $99. It was supposed to be 2 speed, with an rpm range between 1000 and 1350 rpms. Not Ideal, after reading Halekais posts, as I wanted a lower, and variable rpm model. Decided to stop by Canadian Tire to have a look anyway, and what do you know - the model they had on sale was an 11amp, variable speed (thumb dial) model wit ha 600 - 300 rpm NO LOAD- rating!!

I do realize that the better brands are normally more robust, etc, but it was on sale for $59 - and the kicker is that I got a $20 bonus gift card on the purchase - so I paid $39 for it!! (ended up being over $100 with a couple bonnets, microfiber rags, and other supplies).

Here is a pic / specs of the model (someone else had this on a detailing forum)
Alternative to the PC and G100, The simoniz sander-polisher 7" ??? - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

Wow that's a killer deal! Even if it only polishes your boat three times before burning up you can still buy three for the price of the Makita..

My Makita has done well over 65 boats and shows no signs of giving up but I'd grab one of those buffers in a heart beat it's a good deal!!