Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-16-2008

chrisnewtimes is on a distinguished road
Lewmar 40 standard winch circa early 80's

I'm hoping someone out there can tell me how to remove the pin holding in the lower gears.
I just don't want to pound on the stainless pin, until I know for sure that's what I should do, (up or down) to remove the cogs.

There is also a chance I have missed something. the winches are removed from the yacht so the bottom is visible.

I'm amazed lewmar made something that appears, has to be romoved from the yacht in order to service it fully.
My last winches were barients.
Yours Aye, and thank in anticipation
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
See schematics here Lewmar Winch Schematics and find instructions here Lewmar .

You have a very nice quality winch, the gear spindle pops up and out with no retainer. Position the winch upside down and tap the bottom of the spindle to start it out, turn the winch over and pull the spindle out with fingers or whatever you chose, it should sllde right up and out. You can fully service the winch when installed.
Old 04-16-2008

wonder if this is an earlier winch, there is no "T" head on the lower gear retaining pin. No screw in the top for the removal of the upper needle bearings, the central shaft is held in place with a sprung circlip (accessible only fro the bottom) like the top plate is. so I guess I'l beat on the pin and hope I dont brak something................
Old 04-16-2008

Yes it's earlier than 1983, you have to remove it from the boat to remove the lower circlips, and you have to beat the lower pin out from the top, in order to remove it. it has slight splining on the bottom end so it wont fall out by accident. Then you can remove the circlip in order to release the main shaft and it's bearingsthe good news is it's all in very nice condition.............
Yours Aye Chris
Old 04-16-2008

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnewtimes View Post
I'm hoping someone out there can tell me how to remove the pin holding in the lower gears.
I just don't want to pound on the stainless pin, until I know for sure that's what I should do, (up or down) to remove the cogs.

There is also a chance I have missed something. the winches are removed from the yacht so the bottom is visible.

I'm amazed lewmar made something that appears, has to be romoved from the yacht in order to service it fully.
My last winches were barients.
Yours Aye, and thank in anticipation
Chris
I went through this exact same issue and after much digging, actually found the diagram for this very winch (which is different from current the model). Here's a link to the pdf: http://www.oysterbayboatshop.com/pdf...r/V2/L2_40.pdf. It's a little confusing in the diagram, but the pin is knurled on the bottom 3/8" or so. You need to use a drift punch to drive the pin out downwards. Everything else is very straight forward. Other Lewmar diagrams for older winches can be found at Oyster Bay Boat Shop.

BTW, my 30yo Lewmar 40s had lost most of their chrome, but over the winter I removed them from the boat, cleaned them up and had the drums re-chromed. They look and work like new.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 04-16-2008

Thanks Lucas, I looked for 2 hours and didn't find that PDF file, and yes this is the very winch and it's all clean and ready to re-install, thaks for you help
yours aye and
Regards Chrsi
Old 04-16-2008

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
See schematics here Lewmar Winch Schematics and find instructions here Lewmar .

You have a very nice quality winch, the gear spindle pops up and out with no retainer. Position the winch upside down and tap the bottom of the spindle to start it out, turn the winch over and pull the spindle out with fingers or whatever you chose, it should sllde right up and out. You can fully service the winch when installed.
The older Lewmars are also easy to maintain, but are different from current models in that they must be completely removed from the boat in order to fully service them. Here's a great resource for schematics for older Lewmar and Harken winches: Oyster Bay Boat Shop. For this specific winch, go to http://www.oysterbayboatshop.com/pdf...r/V2/L2_40.pdfThis was a real needle-in-a-haystack find and the day I found it I received the same doc directly from Lewmar.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 04-17-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I just wondered about that - I have these same old Lewmars (1972) and I guessed that you can't take the lower gears out without removing the winch. Since removing it is out of question (only when I have enough money to buy new ones, thats it) - I guess it does not get cleaned down there. Oh well.
Old 05-26-2008

jacquessheet is on a distinguished road
Chris...You still smoking that smelly old pipe??

JS.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.