SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

1981 Honda 9.9, 4 stroke o/b, Idle problem

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  larrywa 
#1 ·
Last season, my first season as sail boater, had starting problem, 6-7 pulls. Replaced the fuel pump, past March. Motor now starts
1 pull, 2 pull max. Was able to motor from
winter storage to marina. Motor ran fine.

Have not left marina since then but have started motor each time I stopped at marina, 4-5 times. Last week, motor started normally but would not idle. Have not been able to idle motor since.

This problem coincides with connecting fuel line to metal line inside transom and also installing in-line filter between metal line and engine. Have removed metal line and filter,returning to original setup. Idling problem persists.

Prior to haulout, past Oct., had carburetor cleaned by Honda dealer.

#3 ·
I have a mid-80''s 7.5 Honda, and two observations I''ve made:

1> It doesn''t like bad gas. Even a small amount of water makes it cranky.

2> This year, I found the rivets in the ignition/cam timing pulley had worn. The pulley is the small one driven by the belt. Since replacing it, the motor runs/idles much better, and is less noisy.

#5 ·
ranj65; I used to have a Honda 7.5 that one day wouldn''t idle. The carb. float was stuck. A gentle tap on the side of the carb cured it. Be advised, you''re not helping your engine by running it at the dock in neutral. Any engine, gas or diesel, likes to be run under a load to really warm up and burn off deposits. At the dock, put it in gear and run it at a fast idle for twenty minutes at least twice a month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.