Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-18-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas8100 View Post
.... Having a barrier coat would be pretty nice...
Cas,
I gotta ask, if your bottom has no blisters, what would be so particularly nice about a barrier coat...especially since it'll cost you 4-8 days of work ...I guess what I'm saying is just because there are situations where a barrier coat solves a problem, doesn't make their appeal universal.
Old 04-18-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
If there is a barrier coat under there it's not going to look much different in texture to gel-coat. I concur that what your pictures show is just cumulative layers of bottom paint. It's probably not a bad idea at all to strip it off and get a nice new coat of bottom paint on. You'll sail faster!

If you haven't had a blistering problem in the twenty years of the boat's existence I'd guess that you probably won't have one. I'd leave well enough alone, strip it, and paint it. That's enough of a project in itself!
Old 04-18-2008

cas8100 is on a distinguished road
Thanks again all for the replies. I did end up sanding down to the gel (or at least started the project). I'm glad I did so b/c I found some water damaged spots. There's a couple osmotic blisters at the waterline (that I had already known about) and a bunch of tiny spots underneath that have some type of water damage. The gel is discolored and the tap-test sounds like small hollow areas. Maybe the beginnings of a blister? I haven't enough experience to know... Anyhow, at least it gives me something to work on. I needed a project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
cas,
Since your hull does have osmotic blisters, you will be faced with repairing the damage they caused and formulate a plan to prevent further damage. The best way of course, is to apply a barriercoat - ONCE they're all been ground out and most importantly, the hull has been thoroughly dried out.

You're probably already aware of the precautions and repair process, but if not, do some research beforehand. This Interprotect Bulletin is a good place to start. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cas-

You need to find out if the blisters are actually osmotic or not. Generally, osmotic blisters are filled with a nasty fluid that is under some pressure. By popping the blisters, you can usually figure out if they're just layup voids or actual osmotic blisters. Wear eye protection when doing this, since osmotic blisters tend to spray. If they are osmotic... you have to dry the hull out before applying a barrier coating.

If they aren't osmotic blisters...then all you really need to do with them is fill them with thickened epoxy and fair them.

BTW, the tap test sounds may sound hollow, especially if you're over an empty tank or such... the more important aspect to the tapping sound is whether the sound is sharp or dull. A sharp sound means the underlying laminate is probably sound. A dull sound means that the underlying laminate is either soggy or delaminating--which is bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Cas-

Generally, osmotic blisters are filled with a nasty fluid that is under some pressure.
There I go once again.... learning something new every day. They're not filled with any type of pressurzied fluid, more just an air gap that forms a bubble appearance. I grinded them out and it looks quite dry. Will probably just fill it with Interlux Watertite Epoxy. The spots on the bottom fail the "dull" test and I can even see where they've become porous and feel weak when pushed. I've only uncovered a couple of these (thus far) so hopefully I can grind into some dry material and fill it the same way. They're only about 3/4" diameter as well so we're talking small areas.
Old 04-18-2008
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
there is a lot of mis information "out there" however not in this thread. Gel coat is porous and does not resist water intrusion. The fiberglass will either soak up the water or react to it IE. blisters. The longer you own the boat you will notice that the boat sails the fastest in the spring as it has dried out all winter. It is soaking up water as long as it is sitting in the water. this is why true race boats are dry sailed. America cup boats and such even though they are big boats.

Barrier coat! Barrier coat! Barrier coat! It helps stop the water intrusion and keeps the boat lighter and pays dividends in speed.
Old 04-18-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas8100 View Post
There I go once again.... learning something new every day. They're not filled with any type of pressurzied fluid, more just an air gap that forms a bubble appearance. I grinded them out and it looks quite dry. Will probably just fill it with Interlux Watertite Epoxy. The spots on the bottom fail the "dull" test and I can even see where they've become porous and feel weak when pushed. I've only uncovered a couple of these (thus far) so hopefully I can grind into some dry material and fill it the same way. They're only about 3/4" diameter as well so we're talking small areas.
You've gone to the trouble of removing the paint and exposed some deficiencies. Now is not the time to get into any type of rush to cover things up, repaint, and get the boat back in the water. You'll want to determine exactly how much degradation you have and fix it in a manner that is not only sound but also prevents further deterioration from occuring. This amy well involve a barrier coat. Search the archives here on blistering and barrier coating as there is a lot of infor already out there and some great links. A common complaint has been inadequate or improper barrier coating by technicians and a return of the problem. I don't think you want to go there! Please keep us updated.
Old 05-01-2008

Almost done sanding... For those of you out there reading this thread thinking to yourselves, "Can it really take that long??" the answer is yes. Still a good decision to sand it all off though... I think....
Old 05-01-2008

beej67 is on a distinguished road
Sand to the white stuff, then barrier coat and paint.

Neat trick I saw a guy do once with ablative paint, that I'll be doing in the future - he painted his bottom blue, let that dry, then put a coat of red on it. That way, he can tell very easily by simple inspection when the exterior coat of ablative paint had washed away, so he could easily tell when to haul and paint again. I thought that was slick.

I haul and paint when I run aground too much. Heh.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.