Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-08-2008

mdistel is on a distinguished road
What tool/method did you use to sand off the paint? I have an 83 Catalina 22 with years of bottom paint build up that I'd like to remove. Thanks,

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mdistel-

If you have a local vendor that does sodablasting, that's what I'd recommend you do. It is far easier than trying to sand years of bottom paint off the boat, and far faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-08-2008

cas8100 is on a distinguished road
Mdistel,

I used a 5" random orbital electric sander and tons of 100-150 grit sandpaper. It's a lot of work... but it turned out very nicely. So far I've sanded the entire hull with the exception of the wing keel. My wing keel has deep cracks on the side and is pretty difficult to sand because of the unevenness.

I contemplated soda-blasting the keel, but my pressure washer seemed to remove a good bit and I may hit it again with the random orbital to see how it does. Either way, I will have a good bit of filling to do on the keel.

Good luck-
Old 05-08-2008

beej67 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdistel View Post
What tool/method did you use to sand off the paint? I have an 83 Catalina 22 with years of bottom paint build up that I'd like to remove. Thanks,

Mark
I used one of these:

Makita Axial Sanders and Polishers

...with a rubber backup pad to it, and a whole box of adhesive backed sanding disks .. I think I used 50 grit. Took me about 2 days to do the bottom of my boat, including the keel.

That's a DIY project that I'm glad I did, but will never do again. I think I sneezed gelcoat for a month.
Old 05-08-2008

mdistel is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys.

I need to determine how far I want go considering the value of the boat (we paid $3000 last year, included dockage ~800) and the likeliness that we will upgrade to a larger boat.

At the minimum I will rough up the bottom, clean with thinner and apply another coat of copper bottom paint. I will also clean up the keel and fill any voids.

Mark
Old 05-08-2008

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
I would suggest that you sand to gel coat for a couple of reasons.
1. Its a new to you boat, see whats underneath.
2. Some bottom paints especially micron do not adhere well to others. (that appears like the cracks and chipping in your pics.
3. Fresh barrier coat, better protection.
4. Peace of mind.
In the long run the expense and time will be less doing it right the firat time. Trust me from experiance.
Old 05-08-2008

cas8100 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej67 View Post
That's a DIY project that I'm glad I did, but will never do again. I think I sneezed gelcoat for a month.
I did the same the first time I sanded my bottom paint and this time around I bought a 3M 6800 full face respirator. Best purchase I've made in a long time. You can put the general particulate filter onto it and the respirator acts as eye and respiratory protection in one. I've used it on several non-boat projects as well.
Old 05-09-2008

beej67 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
full face respirator
Yup, that'da been nice. I went with the Saftey Goggles and Dust Mask approach.

Even so, it took us about a week start-to-finish to do our P323, and between the time spent by me and my wife, and the yard fees, and the materials, and each of us burning a week vacation from work, it's totally worth it to pay someone else.
Old 05-09-2008
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
That looks like the exact same problem I had on my Catalina 30 many years ago. Following a paint job done by the local yard, chunks of paint were falling off. The yard rehauled the boat, and had several inspections done and factory tech reps consulted with the conclusion that different paints were used over the top of the other and the earliest applied paint was rejecting the latter. In other words, some bottom paints aren't compatible with others.

Their solution, sand blast the hull to gelcoat, then repaint. At their expense of course as they had done the painting.
Old 05-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd definitely recommend the full face respirators over the googles and half-masks... they're a lot more comfortable, and no dust gets into your eyes.

DO NOT SAND BLAST FIBERGLASS... Sodablasting is much safer and won't damage the laminate as easily. Sandblasting can eat away the paint, the gelcoat and layers of laminate if the operator isn't careful.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.